Avicularia geroldi

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I'd love to see photos! And thanks, I was wondering if I was crazy because I was seeing a vivid @&$ blue and then that deep dark black one o_O

It's hard to believe this tiny pink and black spec is going to turn so blue! I can't wait. Approximately what size do they start to develop their adult coloration?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I'd love to see photos! And thanks, I was wondering if I was crazy because I was seeing a vivid @&$ blue and then that deep dark black one o_O

It's hard to believe this tiny pink and black spec is going to turn so blue! I can't wait. Approximately what size do they start to develop their adult coloration?
Somewhere around 2-3" for most Avics

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Chris, you silly goose :wacky: she's confused because of the loss of blue throughout their molt cycle, which can make their blue in pictures look dramatically different.
They are bright royal blue fresh from molt, enhanced by the camera flash(especially the abdominal setae) & IMO a much brighter blue than Avicularia metallica. In my picture linked above, her blue has faded because she was in heavy premolt. They're actually dark blue in person but some cameras with soft lighting (like mine) can't pick the blue up, so she appears black. They resemble Avicularia avicularia mature males when in premolt because of their solid black blue color.
My girl just molted a couple days ago, she's looking really good. Once I get her fed, I'll get some pictures and post them here. ;)
You know I thought that first, but then it didn't seem that way. Seemed like she was just asking about colors in general after looking at those pics and reading her posts.

In person I agree they are a really dark blue, almost black to the untrained eye or a quick look. The brightest thing on them is their toes.

But, the right angle/light and the dorsolateral setae are electric blue. I have pics but haven't posted them yet.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
You know I thought that first, but then it didn't seem that way. Seemed like she was just asking about colors in general after looking at those pics and reading her posts.
In person I agree they are a really dark blue, almost black to the untrained eye or a quick look. The brightest thing on them is their toes.
But, the right angle/light and the dorsolateral setae are electric blue. I have pics but haven't posted them yet.
Sorry if I wasn't super clear, I get a little giddy when it comes to new Ts so I may have not been as clear as I should have been :p

I want all the A. geroldi pics, pleeeeeeease :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry if I wasn't super clear, I get a little giddy when it comes to new Ts so I may have not been as clear as I should have been :p

I want all the A. geroldi pics, pleeeeeeease :D
I'll dig them up, hopefully this weekend.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@Paiige here are 2 pics of my female. You can see the electric blue I mentioned. Note a very bright flashlight was used for this. In ambient lighting inside a home, you won't see these colors. They will be almost black, prob one of the deepest shades of blue I've ever seen.

IMG_3122.JPG IMG_3289.JPG

Paiige

Arachnobaron
@Paiige here are 2 pics of my female. You can see the electric blue I mentioned. Note a very bright flashlight was used for this. In ambient lighting inside a home, you won't see these colors. They will be almost black, prob one of the deepest shades of blue I've ever seen.

View attachment 233751 View attachment 233752
Thanks! It's a beautiful blue and that certainly clears it up a little! Can't wait for mine to grow up :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks! It's a beautiful blue and that certainly clears it up a little! Can't wait for mine to grow up :D
Without the flashlight, the color of the T appears like its abdomen that is near black. They are not nearly as iridescent as other Avics. Even A. metallica are brighter blues. Their color just makes their toes stand out more.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Without the flashlight, the color of the T appears like its abdomen that is near black. They are not nearly as iridescent as other Avics. Even A. metallica are brighter blues. Their color just makes their toes stand out more.
I like that though. I appreciate that it's a deep rich blue as opposed to the muted muddy blue like my Avic avics. I know A. metallica is the vivid bright blue everyone seems to love but I like that this is an Avic not everyone has - and I also really like the "bell-bottom" look they have going on with the hairs on their back legs :)

This genus is also new to me, too, so it's not like I have ten other blue Avic spp to compare this little one to - I was never really drawn to Avics but the two Avic avic juvies I have now have been a joy to keep. This geroldi is my first Avic sling and I'm excited to watch it grow.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I like that though. I appreciate that it's a deep rich blue as opposed to the muted muddy blue like my Avic avics. I know A. metallica is the vivid bright blue everyone seems to love but I like that this is an Avic not everyone has - and I also really like the "bell-bottom" look they have going on with the hairs on their back legs :)

This genus is also new to me, too, so it's not like I have ten other blue Avic spp to compare this little one to - I was never really drawn to Avics but the two Avic avic juvies I have now have been a joy to keep. This geroldi is my first Avic sling and I'm excited to watch it grow.
I've never found A. metallica to be bright blue, mine certainly weren't. Bright blue to me is a GBB ;) Any blue Avic is brighter than geroldi though ;)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I've never found A. metallica to be bright blue, mine certainly weren't. Bright blue to me is a GBB ;) Any blue Avic is brighter than geroldi though ;)
See, this is why I think we have some sort of visual discrepancy here. ;) I'd say my GBB is about the same blue as A. metallicas I've seen! :p

For example, MM A. metallica:
http://www.stoney.nildram.co.uk/spiderphotos/images/A.metallica_AM.jpg

Then my juvenile male GBB:

Now, these are different hues but I would still consider them both pretty vivid or bright. And both are in natural lighting, though varying degrees.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
The Tarantula in the link doesn't look like A. metallica to me?
On Metallica each setae is tipped in white like a paintbrush barley dipped in paint or the tip of fiber optics.

2015-08-04 11.58.30.jpg 2015-08-04 17.28.13.jpg

Paiige

Arachnobaron
On Metallica each setae is tipped in white like a paintbrush barley dipped in paint or the tip of fiber optics.

View attachment 233759 View attachment 233760
You very well may be right, it's from Google images but the source is a thread buried in the depths of the forums here. Regardless I would say it's comparable to the A. metallica in your bottom picture.

HOWEVER, I just pulled up the thread and apparently the T I linked is A. geroldi, according to someone further down in the post.

I don't mean to continue to argue over a color, I'm just struggling to accept that what my eyes are telling me is the complete opposite of what a very experienced keeper is saying.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avic-avicularia-or-metallica.69080/

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
See, this is why I think we have some sort of visual discrepancy here. ;) I'd say my GBB is about the same blue as A. metallicas I've seen! :p

For example, MM A. metallica:
http://www.stoney.nildram.co.uk/spiderphotos/images/A.metallica_AM.jpg

Then my juvenile male GBB:

Now, these are different hues but I would still consider them both pretty vivid or bright. And both are in natural lighting, though varying degrees.

This is all a bit subjective, if you consider that Avic, which isn't metallica btw, as bright as a GBB, well good for you, get your eyes checked hah.

The difference between those 2 Ts, is as obvious as the geroldi pics I put up for its setae.

You very well may be right,
There is no "may", he is correct.

You want to call the shades of blue the same etc, have at it. I don't care. hahahaah

Paiige

Arachnobaron
This is all a bit subjective, if you consider that Avic, which isn't metallica btw, as bright as a GBB, well good for you, get your eyes checked hah.
There is no "may", he is correct.
You want to call the shades of blue the same etc, have at it. I don't care. hahahaah

After looking at A. metallicas, yes he is definitely correct, I agree, as I stated earlier I don't have much experience with the genus. Thanks for clearing that up @sdsnybny !

And I very much agree this is all subjective. I'm not saying the blues are the same blue by any means, hence in my earlier post I said they're not at all the same hue. I would consider the GBB to be a cobalt blue, wheras the Avic I would consider cerulean. Both are very highly pigmented colors, thus I would say they're both very vivid blues.

The one in your second photo is more on par with the photos of them I've been seeing, and not all look like they're in the same bright light, that's all. After seeing so many different photos, in so many different kinds of light, it appears that (in my opinion) there may be a bit of color variation from individual to individual, and also variation depending on where they are in their molt cycle.

Out of curiosity, what sp. would you say the one I incorrectly called A. metallica is?

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
After looking at A. metallicas, yes he is definitely correct, I agree, as I stated earlier I don't have much experience with the genus. Thanks for clearing that up @sdsnybny !

And I very much agree this is all subjective. I'm not saying the blues are the same blue by any means, hence in my earlier post I said they're not at all the same hue. I would consider the GBB to be a cobalt blue, wheras the Avic I would consider cerulean. Both are very highly pigmented colors, thus I would say they're both very vivid blues.

The one in your second photo is more on par with the photos of them I've been seeing, and not all look like they're in the same bright light, that's all. After seeing so many different photos, in so many different kinds of light, it appears that (in my opinion) there may be a bit of color variation from individual to individual, and also variation depending on where they are in their molt cycle.

Out of curiosity, what sp. would you say the one I incorrectly called A. metallica is?
The variation we observe in these pictures has far more to do w/the lighting, software, math and another things, than it does any natural variation IME and IMO.

I couldn't say actually. Only a FEW species of Avic can be positively ID'd via a pic without error. The image I saw doesn't even display enough closeup detail to speculate.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter

The variation we observe in these pictures has far more to do w/the lighting, software, math and another things, than it does any natural variation IME and IMO.

I couldn't say actually. Only a FEW species of Avic can be positively ID'd via a pic without error. The image I saw doesn't even display enough closeup detail to speculate.

View attachment 233759 View attachment 233760
0.1 Avicularia geroldi - Fresh Molt
(Avicularia avicularia morphotype #6)

Sister Of Viper's Girl:
FB_IMG_1489521288405.jpg

FB_IMG_1489502217005.jpg

FB_IMG_1489520391749.jpg

FB_IMG_1489541168701.jpg

FB_IMG_1489526705252.jpg

FB_IMG_1489543102737.jpg

Paiige

Arachnobaron
0.1 Avicularia geroldi - Fresh Molt
(Avicularia avicularia morphotype #6)

Sister Of Viper's Girl:
View attachment 234099

View attachment 234100

View attachment 234101

View attachment 234102

View attachment 234103

View attachment 234104
Gorgeous! I'm possibly more excited to see its adult coloring now than I was. Beautiful T aside, they're also stunning photos!

I read a lot of the comments on your FB AB post about it being an Avic avic morphotype as well, I feel much more informed about these guys now. Thanks so much for sharing!