Avicularia avicularia not eating well (normal?)

k2power

Arachnoknight
I have recently gotten back into tarantulas and have picked up 2 avics, a Lasiodora, and H. gigas. Anyways, one of the avics doesn ot have much interest in food. I have seen it eat once in 3 weeks while the others (especially the non-avics) eat regularly. It is a sub-adult and has a somewhat small abdomen. it could be in premolt but I have no way of knowing. It also isn't building much web at all either. Are avics typically not as entusiastic eaters as many other species?

As a general rule, is a water container on the ground any use for the avics. Obviously they don't go on the ground much and stay plastered to the cage walls.

k2power

Arachnoknight
I don't believe so. It doesn't have the characteristically male pedipalps I have seen in photos.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just an idea as most of my Avicularia are ferocious eaters apart from the MM's Ive had. Maybe it just hasn't settled in yet? Although within three week you would've thought it had....:confused:

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Are avics typically not as entusiastic eaters as many other species?
Could just be nearing a molt. It is not uncharacteristic for any specie of T to refuse food for this amount of time.