Avicularia Avicularia enclosure input

Squalle

Arachnopeon
I got this juvenile enclosure and it came with everything that's in it (except the t). She usually stays up where she is in the pic. Sometimes she'll sit on top of the corkboard. My question is this... does she need something for a hide?

This enclosure works ok. I can't really glue anything to it because of the way it comes apart (toward the bottom). And it makes it hard when she starts laying web down between the side and the corkboard. And I do need to drill some cross-ventilation holes in the side and top.

Any other input?

Thanks all!

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I would rehouse into something larger, that spider has outgrown your current setup...there should be a water dish in the enclosure as well.

Squalle

Arachnopeon
There is water on the other side. But I can't put it anywhere but on the ground.

Would a 5 gal tank work better?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
There is water on the other side. But I can't put it anywhere but on the ground.

Would a 5 gal tank work better?
Na, they require quite a bit of modding to make them work, I'd go with a 4L cookie jar/tub, the one I linked is 6"x6"x10", you can also use an Exo Terra Nano Tall (shop around to find a decent price on them).

Last edited by a moderator:

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
I got this juvenile enclosure and it came with everything that's in it (except the t). She usually stays up where she is in the pic. Sometimes she'll sit on top of the corkboard. My question is this... does she need something for a hide?

This enclosure works ok. I can't really glue anything to it because of the way it comes apart (toward the bottom). And it makes it hard when she starts laying web down between the side and the corkboard. And I do need to drill some cross-ventilation holes in the side and top.

Any other input?

Thanks all!
Also next time put the fake leaves on top of the cork bark.

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
I have the same question regardling my Avic. I bought it Saturday from a reptile show in town. The enclosure is a round 12x8 acrylic. How long can I keep an avic in that setup?
Probably two molts, also get rid of the light.

boina

Lady of the mites
I have the same question regardling my Avic. I bought it Saturday from a reptile show in town. The enclosure is a round 12x8 acrylic. How long can I keep an avic in that setup?
The Avic can live in there until the next molt but you need to get rid of the lamp.

Any other input?

Thanks all!
As all others already said: That enclosure is seriously too small. Plants and cover need to be in the upper part of the enclosure because that's where the spider wants to live.

Last edited by a moderator:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
The enclosure in the last photo looks ok to me but needs adequate cross-ventilation.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Not questioning your knowledge, just asking out of curiosity, what’s wrong with the LED?
They don't need or like bright light shining on them all the time.

If you must use a constant light, get a red light (one that gives off little to no heat). Spiders don't see well at the red end of the spectrum, so this doesn't bother them as much.

ExArachnophobe

Arachnopeon
They don't need or like bright light shining on them all the time.

If you must use a constant light, get a red light (one that gives off little to no heat). Spiders don't see well at the red end of the spectrum, so this doesn't bother them as much.
Oh I see. I only usually have it on about 2 1/2 to 3 hours in the evening so I can watch her eat. I don’t leave it on all day.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh I see. I only usually have it on about 2 1/2 to 3 hours in the evening so I can watch her eat. I don’t leave it on all day.
Find a light that is blue, that gives off the same hue as a moonlight bulb you'd see for herps. A red light won't allow you to see it all that well, and a moonlight type bulb won't disturb them.