Avicularia avicularia care

TarantuLover81

Arachnosquire
Thanks so much. I figured it wouldn't be long but I wanted to check with you guys since you all have been in the hobby for quite a while!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Okay, id like the opinons of some pros. I'm really glad I found this post. Are these okay for enclosure.?
As set up goes, yes. But personally, the first enclosure is too small, the second one too big for the spiders. The spider on the left doesn't have much space to maneuver in and the other may not find its food. ;)

lovinonmybell

Arachnopeon
As set up goes, yes. But personally, the first enclosure is too small, the second one too big for the spiders. The spider on the left doesn't have much space to maneuver in and the other may not find its food. ;)
Dang it. The one that's bigger, I just grabbed yesterday from PetSmart , definitely wasn't planning on getting another t to bring home, but it had really cruddy living conditions, and I didn't have anything bigger, and I thought the large critter keeper I had would be to big. Maybe ill just switch it to the other one in the morning.
Thank you for replying :)
Everytime I check on the avic avic, the water dish is empty.. I wonder if she's chugging it all down, or if she's spilling it? I haven't seen her move at all though.

boina

Lady of the mites
@lovinonmybell I think the right one can work, depending on how actively your Avic hunts. Some are a bit shy and don't hunt that actively but you can always place prekilled prey in their webs. The left one is really a bit cramped, but it will still work for a while until you can figure out something bigger.

The water is being wicked out by a strand of web over the dish - that's the usual solution. Spiders are physically not able to drink that much.

lovinonmybell

Arachnopeon
@lovinonmybell I think the right one can work, depending on how actively your Avic hunts. Some are a bit shy and don't hunt that actively but you can always place prekilled prey in their webs. The left one is really a bit cramped, but it will still work for a while until you can figure out something bigger.

The water is being wicked out by a strand of web over the dish - that's the usual solution. Spiders are physically not able to drink that much.
Shoot! She doesn't have any webbing at all yet :( she didn't even have any when I first took her out to clean everything good. The pet store had the critter keeper sitting regular not long ways, hardly any substrate,no hide, and a water dish full of cricket gel poor thing was hiding her face up at the top of the enclosure. This is actually the first time I've seen her full leg span sitting in the enclosure, other then when I was trying to get her to roam back into her new home. I'm hoping she will like this style a bit better. I will have to go find something suitable for her. I'd prefer something I can put cross ventilation in..
so far my 3/4 an inch sling is doing great, I moved her /him into that enclosure almost a month ago, she's had no problem finding her food. The way she pounces on her food I wonder if once a week isn't enough for her/him.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Shoot! She doesn't have any webbing at all yet :( she didn't even have any when I first took her out to clean everything good. The pet store had the critter keeper sitting regular not long ways, hardly any substrate,no hide, and a water dish full of cricket gel poor thing was hiding her face up at the top of the enclosure. This is actually the first time I've seen her full leg span sitting in the enclosure, other then when I was trying to get her to roam back into her new home. I'm hoping she will like this style a bit better. I will have to go find something suitable for her. I'd prefer something I can put cross ventilation in..
so far my 3/4 an inch sling is doing great, I moved her /him into that enclosure almost a month ago, she's had no problem finding her food. The way she pounces on her food I wonder if once a week isn't enough for her/him.
That's good, that the small one has no trouble finding food, you can leave it in then :)

For the big spider, people here have converted Really Useful Boxes standing on end as very nice enclosures, iirc.(I'm from the Netherlands so I'm not sure about the name)
I think it was @EulersK mabe he can chime in. :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That's good, that the small one has no trouble finding food, you can leave it in then :)

For the big spider, people here have converted Really Useful Boxes standing on end as very nice enclosures, iirc.(I'm from the Netherlands so I'm not sure about the name)
I think it was @EulersK mabe he can chime in. :)
Yep, that was me with the below video. But Really Useful Boxes are only good for terrestrials/burrowers. They don't come in the proper shape for an arboreal, unfortunately.