Avic won't web

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought this avic from a pet store that was treating her critically wrong, it was kind of a rescue, but she doesn't want to web or eat at all. She was doing good after a month with some webbing but then it just stopped and so did teh feeding. She also could be a he so that could be the reason. Any ideas?

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the loss of apetite is probably a sign of an up coming molt. I bought mine and it was black. wouldn't eat, minimal webbing. then it molted and it eats and spins. I'd just wait it out. As long as her abdoman isn't shrinking i wouldn't worry about not eating. Just be sure to keep a water dish in the tank to up the humidity and spray the walls of the tank close to her/opposite her and she'll drink off the walls. If there is any webbing mist the web also.

I should probably also add that some avics web more than others. My avi. avi spins minimally but my avi laeta has spun tube webbing in half of her tank

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think not webbing is any cause for concern. My A. avic that I've had for over a year now has not webbed yet. As far as the eating goes. As long as it's abdomen is close to the same size as the carapace, it doesn't need to eat. A lot of T's will fast and some for long amounts of time. If the abdomen is small and looks a little shrivled, there is a problem.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I bought this avic from a pet store that was treating her critically wrong, it was kind of a rescue, but she doesn't want to web or eat at all. She was doing good after a month with some webbing but then it just stopped and so did teh feeding. She also could be a he so that could be the reason. Any ideas?
What kind of an avic is it and what size is it?
My avic avic is bad at constructing webs, almost terrible. My versi does it perfectly and with great passion. My impression is that webbing has to do with the occasion and overall ability of the individual.

Since I've given my avic avic some hanging fake plants to hide behind it has webbed them up, but not in a real tube web, but rather by bending the leaves into a kind of tube and anchoring them with a few bunches of strings, so it clearly wouldn't really need to web in that context. Maybe try adding some fake plants so it can construct itself a hide, then you won't need to worry.

Last edited:

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is it an adult? IME, avic adults tend to eat way less than I would expect. And like mikeymo said, some just web more than others. I had an adult A avic that didn't eat for almost a year. With the warmer weather approaching, perhaps the appetite will return. Good luck.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, if you have a hide for it, they may just use that instead of a web. I have my A. Avic in a skull hide, and she just hangs out in there. On the other hand, I have 2 Versicolors, one of which is a webbing maniac, and the sling I got a month ago just webbed up his home a week ago.

Give it some time; I guess how much they web has something to do with the spider's "personality"....some overdo it, some may not at all.

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
then it molted and it eats and spins. I'd just wait it out.
Is not webbing a sign of an upcoming molt? My a avic sling built a web about a week after I got her, stayed in it for two weeks, then ripped off the top part of the web and hasnt bothered to rebuild. Maybe she just wanted a sunroof lol.