Avic purpurea Acting strange

tk0473

Arachnopeon
I got my purpurea as a sling and it has now grown to juvenile size with about a 2 inch leg span, the abdomen is small so i believe it is a male. It has always been quite a veracious eater and pre molt has always webbed itself in and molted. Ever since the last molt maybe about 2 months ago it has been acting more strange then usual. My T has literally become viewable day and night, I have built it quite a nice enclosure with a nice tree hide up top which he has webbed in, and used to hang out in until it started to get dark, but after that last molt he has been hanging out on the ground or just chilling somewhere else in the cage completely viewable with no web. I throw a cricket in twice a week and have only seen him really eat maybe 2 or three at most. Before when i would touch him or poke him he would run away quite fast, now he just paces along slowly and nothing seems to spoke him or incite a reaction. I am really just worried about the behavior because it is completely different from previous behavior and anyone elses avic. I am not sure whether to worry or not because like I said it has been this way for atleast two months. I sprayed some water on him also and got a very miniscule reaction, which then was followed by my T grooming himself, I assume to get the water off idk what else to do any suggestions? should I just leave him be and hope for the best?

Last edited:

acidorange

Arachnopeon
Has the spider tibial hooks (little hooks or lumps on the first pair of legs)? That would explain everything. After ultimate molt they have only one purpose: mating! They don't hide, web (only sperm web) and rarely eat until they die.

Mine A.purpurea had ultimate molt when he was about 1 year old and was only 3.5'' legspan.

tk0473

Arachnopeon

Looking at them right now and I don't see any hooks, possibly a slight raise in the skin, but it just appears to be part of his legs. I don't believe he is done growing yet though I very well could be wrong. I got him as a sling a year and two months ago, there isn't a lot of info about this particular species as far as size, time to ultimate molt, and other factors so I have been having a hard time looking things up and appreciate the response!! Thank you good to finally see someone else with an A. Purpurea. Anyways I looked at his legs close up and don't see any hooks, has yours ever done anything strange or similar? How was yours eating behavior after a year of having it?

acidorange

Arachnopeon
I got mine when he was about 1.5'' and after only 5 months he had ultimate molt. I was shocked. After that he ate only 3 grown up cockroaches and then started refusing food. Before that he ate all the time (accept premolt) you and couldn't see him unless he's hungry, he did excellent webs. Unfortunately, he isn't with me any more, I sent him on mating :cool:

Female Avics live about 7-9 years, but males only 2 :( This means that they have ultimate molt when they're about 1.5 years and in few months they die. Very sad, I know. If you like Avics I suggest that next time you buy female (spiders larger than 2'' can be sexed). That's how I am doing from now, I bought 2 small Avics and both in period of 6 months turned out males - very disappointing.

Sometimes tibial hooks can't be seen, unless looked at the certain angle. Study you spider carefully, I think he has them because he's acting so strangely.

And is the spider unusually thin and leggy? That is also sign of mature male.

Last edited:

tk0473

Arachnopeon

Yes he is definatly a male I could tell just by his body type being so thin and leggy, and you were right about the hooks but only one can truely be seen and only in bright light with the cage open apparently the plastic distorts it somewhat. I am just so surprised and disappointed that he is going to die soon I have only had him fo less than two years and he is already grown :( thanks for all the help it really explains a lot of the behavior and even after reading the tarantula keepers guide I still couldn't figure it out. Thanks again hopefully my new green bottle blue sling turns out to be female id be devestated if not
Code:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First, you can't sex a spider by the size of the abdomen, but since it has hooks then it is definitely MM.
Second, there is no need to directly spray your spider.

Good luck.

acidorange

Arachnopeon
For me, Avics are the most beautiful spiders, I just love them. But unfortunately, they don't live so long, that's why males mature so quickly. So sad :(
If the other one turns out male, buy another one, don't give up ;) I bought another one too, A.diversipes and ventrally he looks male to me, but should molt in a few days so I'll know then for sure. When purchasing my next Avic, it will be slightly bigger specimen so I could now for sure that it's a she.

Last edited:

tk0473

Arachnopeon

Lol I am well aware I didn't have to spray my t but if you read anything I wrote about the behavior you would understand why I did. Also I know sex isn't determined by eye but my t is fairly big and from what I have read it is fairly accurate to determine sex by size and look of the t, so no need to get on my case your response was completely unnecessary and unhelpful so go flame someone else. As for everyone else besides Chris thank you all for your input appreciate it and it was a lesson learned on my part. Also acid orange I love the avics too I just enjoy raising from slings so idk if I would ever buy one at that size but I'm sure its nice to know your spider isn't on death row only after a year lol.

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lol I am well aware I didn't have to spray my t but if you read anything I wrote about the behavior you would understand why I did. Also I know sex isn't determined by eye but my t is fairly big and from what I have read it is fairly accurate to determine sex by size and look of the t, so no need to get on my case your response was completely unnecessary and unhelpful so go flame someone else. As for everyone else besides Chris thank you all for your input appreciate it and it was a lesson learned on my part. Also acid orange I love the avics too I just enjoy raising from slings so idk if I would ever buy one at that size but I'm sure its nice to know your spider isn't on death row only after a year lol.
I'm not flaming anyone, I'm trying to help you out. If you were well aware that you weren't suppose to, then you shouldn't have in the first place. Also, at first you said it had a small abdomen and so you thought it was a male, now you say it's fairly large and that you can sex by size. Well if you knew anything, the females get larger. So is it a male or female? You said male, but now you say it's large, and according to your logic, that would make it female. You can't sex it by looking at the size of the abdomen or anything else. Only a ventral shot and the only way to be 100% is by looking at the molt. So I suggest you research something before you tell me my post is unnecessary. If you don't want advice then don't post.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
tk0473 ~ How are you measuring that 2" legspan, out of curiosity? I am very surprised that it is a MM at that size, so I am thinking that you might not be giving a D(iagonal)L(eg)S(pan).

Also, some Ts do not mind being directly sprayed and actually seem to like it, so saying you aren't supposed to isn't correct either.

tk0473

Arachnopeon

Yes I said it was fairly big in relation to it's age, meaning it is atleast a juvenile, had nothing to do with the the abdomen or anything else so stop trying to take this out of context. As I already stated I am well aware I can't sex 100% by look, but an educated guess can be fairly accurate considering the T has thin legs, small abdomen and all around sleek appearance which obviously would point to male. I am aware females grow larger and are the dominant of the two. If your post was so helpful please tell me what it actually answered aside from NOTHING??? All you did was tell me not to spray my T and I only slightly misted it to see it's reaction considering the sound of the mister used to make it dart like lightning. If your so intelligent try posting some useful information instead of your terrible opinions. All you did was state your opinion on the matter and nothing else you provided no relevant or useful info so keep telling yourself your something better lol <edit>. Looks like your wrong about the sprayer anyways too check the post above, maybe you need to do some research because apparently no one here agrees with you. And Curiousme, I have a transparent cage so when my T is on the wall I simply measure him up to a tape measure from highest point of the front leg to the farthest of the back leg. Is that the correct way to do so it's about 2.5 inches I assume this is right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes I said it was fairly big in relation to it's age, meaning it is atleast a juvenile, had nothing to do with the the abdomen or anything else so stop trying to take this out of context.
Really? Hmm...

I got my purpurea as a sling and it has now grown to juvenile size with about a 2 inch leg span, the abdomen is small so i believe it is a male.
Speaks for itself. Also, a male spider isn't any leggier than a female until after it's mature molt. You need to do your research.

First, you can't sex a spider by the size of the abdomen, but since it has hooks then it is definitely MM.
Second, there is no need to directly spray your spider.

Good luck.

Like I said, there is no need to. And there isn't. I never said you aren't suppose to.

Last edited by a moderator:

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A. purpurea "hooks" can be VERY hard to see (like many avics). It is best to try and see the emboli under the pedipalps. Do you hear him drumming on the side of the cage?

You usually measure from the tips of a stretched out front leg diagonally to the tip of the stretched out back leg on the opposite side. A. purpurea do not get very big but 2.5" would be on the way small side. as the boy's tend to be "leggy".

If you are sure he is mature, PM me if you are interested in sending him out for a 50/50 breeding loan (or possibly selling him). One of my proven breeders is just waiting for a boy.

tk0473

Arachnopeon

HAHAHA, dude do yourself a favor and stop replying if your so intelligent. You obviously hold yourself on some high pedestal, and hate to break the news, but you haven't said anything useful. You come here flaming people thinking your helping someone when in reality your just making more people hate you. With your responses and attitude I am sure you have a lot of enemies, you should probably go take some xanax and chill out since you obviously have no life other than flaming people and trying to point out how your right about something that isn't even being argued. Point is you said something stupid, I told you it was irrelevant and useless and you got so offended by the truth your here starting again. So go jump on another thread and put in your useless two cents.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
HAHAHA, dude do yourself a favor and stop replying if your so intelligent. You obviously hold yourself on some high pedestal, and hate to break the news, but you haven't said anything useful. You come here flaming people thinking your helping someone when in reality your just making more people hate you. With your responses and attitude I am sure you have a lot of enemies, you should probably go take some xanax and chill out since you obviously have no life other than flaming people and trying to point out how your right about something that isn't even being argued. Point is you said something stupid, I told you it was irrelevant and useless and you got so offended by the truth your here starting again. So go jump on another thread and put in your useless two cents.

Seriously, yeah I make people hate me. Right, I'm the complete newb who sexes spiders by abdomen size. You are the one who said you didn't and I clearly pointed out where you did. You have yet to address that. Anyway, yepp people hate me. Not you, the newb who can't take advice. I'm sitting here laughing over all of this. I didn't get offended. You did. Anyway have fun not knowing anything about Ts and sexing them. That's okay with me.

Only MM are smaller and more slender than the females :clap:

Go ahead, forward me that message from these "users"

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Moderator's Note

This crap ends here and now.

If you don't like someone or someone's posts, there is an ignore function, use it wisely. If someone's post breaks the rules, report it.

That is all.