Avic myth?

Curtis Sowers

Arachnopeon
I was going threw some avic articles on here and their has been a lot of people asking about avics not eating and all the care sheets claim avics are great eaters but truth is they don't eat much probably 4 times a month maybe 5-6 depends on the age but ya avics doent really eat much just an FYI for all those scared avic owners

rob0t

Arachnoknight
That's how much all tarantulas eat really. Once a week, or four times a month, is standard feeding for a tarantula. They can and usually do go much longer than that for periods of time even as slings.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
That's how much all tarantulas eat really. Once a week, or four times a month, is standard feeding for a tarantula. They can and usually do go much longer than that for periods of time even as slings.
agreed I don't know why people are fixated on a species being great eater. I know it cool to watch them hunt and eat, but you never want to feed them to much or it just forces them into molting faster and then you are stuck with a T in premolt a lot of the time.

DoctorBones

Arachnopeon
My 2.5" Avic avic hasn't eaten since early December. At first I thought it was just premolt, but she's a good long ways past molting now and still shows no interest in food. She looks otherwise healthy, so I'm trying not to worry about it, but sometimes I wonder if she thinks she's a rosie or something.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
every avic ive ever owned (A.avic, versi, diversipes) has ate like a champ. I recently acquired a suspect female purpurea that will not eat AT ALL.
The abdomen is very skinny, but then again it just molted a little over a week/week and a half ago. I have attempted to feed 2x with no luck, but im sure that will change sometime this weekend.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think it all boils down to the "personality" of the spider. Some tarantulas will eat like mad, while the same species next to it, setup the same way, never eats. I have some that will eat very well, and others of the same species wont eat much.