Avic Molting

SaraLee24

Arachnopeon
I am jus curious about how often an avic. should molt, I have had mine since march and it still hasn't molted. I don't think it is mature yet, but i'm not positive, it maybe covers my palm when all spread out.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am jus curious about how often an avic. should molt, I have had mine since march and it still hasn't molted. I don't think it is mature yet, but i'm not positive, it maybe covers my palm when all spread out.
Depends on various factors including feeding schedule, temps, humidity and finally the T itself.

As they grow and get older/bigger the times between molts gets longer and longer. Some slow growing T's like Brachy's, when adult, can take a year or more again depending on some of those various factors above.

My adult female Avic Avic is going on now her 2nd molt with me and it's nearly 1 year in late December. A near adult female Aphonopelma is also nearly 8-10 months between her molts.

Avic's are medium growers which helps shorten molt cycles but for example take any species from the Poecilotheria family and you'll find they are typically fast growers and mature within a year to 2 years; again depending on those various factors.

Feed more, keep warmer and they grow quicker in most cases and the less they are fed and cooler they are the slower they grow. As long as it's still eating it's not near a molt, in most cases, so just enjoy your pet to it's fullest and when it's ready, it'll molt :)

Cheers,

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine seem to molt all the time, one just molted again last week. I got her as a sling a year ago and she has molted maybe 5 times....at least.

SaraLee24

Arachnopeon
Well he/she doesnt eat alot, and is actually scared of the cricuts, I rarely see him/her eat one, but I know he/she does because they are gone. and During the summer it was really really hot so he/she was unplugged but now as its getting back into winter I just plugged him/her back in.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well he/she doesnt eat alot, and is actually scared of the cricuts, I rarely see him/her eat one, but I know he/she does because they are gone. and During the summer it was really really hot so he/she was unplugged but now as its getting back into winter I just plugged him/her back in.
Are the crickets too big?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are you talking about a heater?

SaraLee24

Arachnopeon
How would I tell if they are to big, I ask for large.

And yes I am talking about a heater.