Avic fast-period ?

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since my adult avic avic hasn't showed any interest in food, indeed, hasn't been in a 'hunter's stance' since sometime november, I am wondering what other people have to say about their avics' wintertime-behaviour, especially if they have a winter :)

Shadow just sits with her creepy former self (old exo) in her web, most of the time, sometimes during nights /evenings coming out to sit where the heat mat is.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

we have winter here and i have'nt noticed any real changes in my t's, i did have an avic avic that went on fast for around 3 weeks then resumed eating, you still have the old caste skin in there? are'nt you worried about it growing mold or deteriorating?--Jeff

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was told there wasn't too great a risk for that happening ,as it isn't so humid in there. Also, it is part of her web, and I don't want to destroy it if it isn't very necessary. I'm wondering if she might be eating it or so, since she hasn't thinned noticably..much like a hermit crab ? :D

So almost no differences for your avic/s? ok.

Anyone else ? I thought this would be a kind of trend, to be frank.

Seath

Arachnopeon
My pair of B. smithi's have not taken food in about 5 weeks now. They are both still very plump, so I haven't started to worry about them. I offer them a cricket once a week and leave it for a day. But neither of them have seemed interested in taking it. I figured that they were in a kind of hibernation, their enclosures never drop below 72 F. So I ruled out tempture has the cause for the fast. And by the looks of the bald patch on the abdomen I dont forsee a molt coming. I will give them a few more weeks before I really start to worry.

Also they dont seem to move too much anymore, but that is no suprise they never moved alot anyways. They are my little eight legged pet rocks. And I still lub them anyways :p

edit: I know you asked about Avics, but alas I dont have one and have to use my smithi has refernce =)

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Anyone else ? I thought this would be a kind of trend, to be frank
my A. avic hasnt eaten a thing in 3 weeks. hopefully she isnt in premolt, because i decided to go ahead and mate her since i had a viable male. your story strengthens my hope that its just a nothing-fast. my t room stays between 75-80 degrees at all times so i doubt shes feeling winter.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah ok, thank you both for your replies, we might have a little trend on our hands, or so :D

No one know if they can eat their old exo?

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
K, reanimated this horse I did. I figured it isn't entirely dead yet, so..

Anyone with any news?
My adult avic avic still isn't eating, and still almost never comes out of her web, and when she does, still she doesn't sit in her 'hunting-spot'. Looks rather cozy in her enclosure now, but she doesn't seem to be in the mood. Perpetual stay-in-my-web-mood, it seems :)

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Almost all of my t's have fasted on one occasion or another. As long as they are hydrated then there shouldnt be any problem...keep in mind they are used to waiting around and only in captivity get this constant supply of food.

-V

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes. I am wondering if this is an annual trend though, but it seems not. I do think it is kind of weird that some avics go on fasts for no known reason during some months, when most don't. (In captivity, this is)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
my A urticans has not eaten in about 3-4 months. No change in anything, she looks healthy as well...
She did the same thing last year before she finally molted last Feb.
I just keep the water dish full!

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
B'oh..up until 'thing' I was actually carefully hopeful :/
I know my avic isn't going to molt because she hasn't sealed her tube-web, and she molted as late as late july .
3-4 month long premolt fast seems like 1-2 months more than shadow did last time.

mazurmt

Arachnopeon
So I have an adult female avic. avic. She is about 4-5 years old and she has not eaten in 3-4 months, she is due for her anual molt but she is very plump to. Mine does not web up despite having plenty of anchor points. But she is very ravenous. Don't be alarmed. The bigger and older they get the more time it takes to molt. I also have a juvenile A. Geniculate. She is a garbage can but takes 3-4 weeks to molt when she does.