Avic Enclosure advice

kooky

Arachnosquire
I, at some point in the future was planning on getting a member of the avic family. I made an enclosure today, that is empty, but would like some advice for anything that may be wrong with it. For future reference, i have done research about what they need, but its always good to have opinions from experienced keepers.
I didn't have any bark on hand but i have plenty of sphagnum moss. its a 16oz pot. I did split the plastic a little bit when making the holes, but not enough to cause any real damage to the pot. let me know what you think. Was just a try out for when i get any avic's in the future. :)
20160814_181400.jpg 20160814_181408.jpg 20160814_181424.jpg 20160814_181434.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Can we see it with the lid off? Kind of hard to give advice through that :D

Your sling will probably love the moss, but you won't. You'll likely never see it, which can cause problems. You'll never know if it's in premolt or molting, you won't know if it actually caught prey, etc.

kooky

Arachnosquire
20160814_185706[1].jpg 20160814_185714[1].jpg thats the inside, there is tape on it, just to hold the moss on, It was just a quick mash up and i couldn't find the glue lol. I would change this should an avic ever be put in. Wasn't sure how much moss was too much so i kinda shoved as much as what seemed right. i know they like to have cover to feel safe/use to web. I also put some cross ventilation in, and along the substrate line. There are some holes in the lid above the moss, in case it webs and doesn't go to the bottle cap to drink. I didn't consider not being able to see it for moulting. I struggled to find bits of bark that were small enough for a 16oz cup. Could anyone offer any suggestions on where to get it/ a good substitute then. I have read about how picky aciv slings are so i want to find out as much as i can for reference.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Was just a try out for when i get any avic's in the future
I would change this should an avic ever be put in.
I'm quite confused by your above statements. Your first one indicates you are putting an Avic into your Moss cup, the second statement suggests you would change everything if an Avic is going into your moss cup.

Is your moss cup for an Avic or not?

I think "quick mash ups" often lead to quick deaths, esp for Avics. All my Avics get well planned out container.

They really do take advantage of cork bark flats at an angle. I suggest you find some.

kooky

Arachnosquire
I think you misunderstood me. i meant i would change the tape with glue when an avic is put in it. I'm not sure how tape and tarantulas work together. The tape is just temporary so i could give people on here the idea of how it would look. I was only trying out an enclosure based on what i have read on here. This is so i can get the enclosure right before putting anything living in it. I didn't want to end up with a why did my avic die post. I would rather make sure the enclosure is right sooner than later, as it is only better for the tarantulas if i get their enclosure as perfect as i can before putting them in it. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think you misunderstood me. i meant i would change the tape with glue when an avic is put in it. I'm not sure how tape and tarantulas work together. The tape is just temporary so i could give people on here the idea of how it would look. I was only trying out an enclosure based on what i have read on here. This is so i can get the enclosure right before putting anything living in it. I didn't want to end up with a why did my avic die post. I would rather make sure the enclosure is right sooner than later, as it is only better for the tarantulas if i get their enclosure as perfect as i can before putting them in it. Sorry for any confusion.
Oh now I see. I knew there was something I wasn't getting haha. Thanks!

I've never given them only moss. I like to give them hard surfaces to walk on, Ts like surfaces that give them solid footing, just like we do. I suspect if only provided moss, they will built sheets of web/canopy style to have a solid surface to walk on, OR just form a tube among the moss.

I still go with cork though.

kooky

Arachnosquire
Oh now I see. I knew there was something I wasn't getting haha. Thanks!
it was my fault for not being very clear. I have a knack for that haha.
Ill see if i can find any cork bark to put in there then. Just only seem to find the larger pieces around here that are far to big for a deli cup lol.
The fact i have seen your posts about avics, i'm really glad that you haven't criticised (i mean in constructive way! i know people on here aren't rude) my ventilation holes. Hopefully that means they are good enough to prevent any stale air! :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it was my fault for not being very clear. I have a knack for that haha.
Ill see if i can find any cork bark to put in there then. Just only seem to find the larger pieces around here that are far to big for a deli cup lol.
The fact i have seen your posts about avics, i'm really glad that you haven't criticised (i mean in constructive way! i know people on here aren't rude) my ventilation holes. Hopefully that means they are good enough to prevent any stale air! :)
It's impossible to know from what I observed if the holes you provided will prevent mold or not. The holes I make on my Avic containers are not some scientific design hah, just something that works for me. I based them on what other Avic enthusiasts were doing (ie people who had more experience than myself at the time w/this genus). Once you get the hang of it, then one can experiment more.

kooky

Arachnosquire
It's impossible to know from what I observed if the holes you provided will prevent mold or not. The holes I make on my Avic containers are not some scientific design hah, just something that works for me. I based them on what other Avic enthusiasts were doing (ie people who had more experience than myself at the time w/this genus). Once you get the hang of it, then one can experiment more.
If only there was a perfect design! but i suppose that would take the fun out of learning through experience. Maybe leaving it for a few days with the bottle lid filled, i can try and monitor the conditions inside the cup, if it gets too stale, etc then ill know to add more ventilation.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe leaving it for a few days with the bottle lid filled
This would be the smartest thing you could do aside from posting here. Mind you, a bolus increases the chance of mold as well.

kooky

Arachnosquire
This would be the smartest thing you could do aside from posting here. Mind you, a bolus increases the chance of mold as well.
After reading about all the horror stories with avic's dying on here, maybe i will throw a dead cricket in there just to help check the ventilation. If it moulds too quickly then ill know. Guess my next step after that is looking for a small enough piece of bark while i wait out the next few days of ventilation checking.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
A bit of moss is great for holding a little extra moisture...that amount makes me a little nervous. If it got wet, and that could be as simple as the t moving a bit as moss over the water dish, and you could be looking at a bunch of damp moss that takes a while to dry, which could easily have a negative effect on an avic.

Use wood...no where is it written that you must use cork...its the nicest looking option often, but its also by far the most expensive option. I use drift wood or old dried, rotted wood.

kooky

Arachnosquire
A bit of moss is great for holding a little extra moisture...that amount makes me a little nervous. If it got wet, and that could be as simple as the t moving a bit as moss over the water dish, and you could be looking at a bunch of damp moss that takes a while to dry, which could easily have a negative effect on an avic.

Use wood...no where is it written that you must use cork...its the nicest looking option often, but its also by far the most expensive option. I use drift wood or old dried, rotted wood.
Is that wood bought from a shop or did you just use wood you found outside. I assumed cork was the best just because you know it hasn't got anything 'bad' on it so to speak.

cold blood

Staff member
Is that wood bought from a shop or did you just use wood you found outside. I assumed cork was the best just because you know it hasn't got anything 'bad' on it so to speak.
I don't buy wood...I see it as an abundant and free resource.

cold blood

Staff member
Just bake it to get all the moisture out of the wood...and don't use fresh wood, even fresh bark, its just too difficult to get all the moisture out, which leads to mold.

kooky

Arachnosquire
Just bake it to get all the moisture out of the wood...and don't use fresh wood, even fresh bark, its just too difficult to get all the moisture out, which leads to mold.
ill have a look tomorrow thanks :)

kooky

Arachnosquire
So i accidentally split some of the water dish's water onto the susbstrate (how to be a klutz) there is now condensation in that area of the enclosure, so i will add more ventilation holes to the ground level in case that happens again. Ill upload some pics later tonight when i have found some wood to put in there in exchange for some of the moss.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Personally, for an Avic I would use a tall 32oz deli container instead of the 16 oz. The 16 oz would be fine for a Pslamo, Poec, or any arboreal that also spends a decent amount time on the ground. But Avics spend pretty much all of their lives up in the trees so I tend to think taller is better there (within reason). Also gives you more room to put in a nice piece of cork bark/wood as well as a little bit of fake foliage because having plenty of anchor points is important for Avics as well. Agree with @cold blood on the moss...some is really good for retaining moisture but with that amount if you spill too much water on there it could turn that enclosure into a sauna which is bad bad bad for an Avic.

kooky

Arachnosquire
Personally, for an Avic I would use a tall 32oz deli container instead of the 16 oz. The 16 oz would be fine for a Pslamo, Poec, or any arboreal that also spends a decent amount time on the ground. But Avics spend pretty much all of their lives up in the trees so I tend to think taller is better there (within reason). Also gives you more room to put in a nice piece of cork bark/wood as well as a little bit of fake foliage because having plenty of anchor points is important for Avics as well. Agree with @cold blood on the moss...some is really good for retaining moisture but with that amount if you spill too much water on there it could turn that enclosure into a sauna which is bad bad bad for an Avic.
well as it turns out, the slings i was thinking about, are only 1-2cm so i feel like even this container might be too big for them.