Average Price On Red Knees?

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
oogieboogie said:
Im not really sure how to tell if thye are pre molt. Any tips?
If she has a bald patch, look at the skin that is revealed. If it is a shiny dark or black color, then she is pre-molt. If this is the case, I would wait until after she molts to ensure the process goes smoothly. You could always leave a deposit on her to ensure she is not sold to someone else.

oogieboogie said:
Im really debating about it. I really dont want to spend $90 on a spider. She is pretty and all but not really my thing. I think the only reason I would buy here is to breed her or sell her. Which is what im wrestling with.

If you were planning to sell her, you might not see a huge profit. I am not sure what the market will bear there in regard to an adult female. However, doing the currency calculations, that would be roughly $120 cdn. If I was to pirchase her for that amount I would be able to sell her here for about $225 if I found a buyer, and probably for about $150 direct to a pet store. I think that breeding is a better investment, but it doesn't sound like you are that into them, and from what I have read on these boards it is a huge time, and effort committment that can often times not turn out the way you hoped.
But if you love the look of the T, (and they are very pretty) and you want a docile and hardy one, this is a great choice. They will also spend much of thier time out in the open, so those awesome colors are not wasted in a burrow like an H. lividum.

oogieboogie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sheri said:
If she has a bald patch, look at the skin that is revealed. If it is a shiny dark or black color, then she is pre-molt. If this is the case, I would wait until after she molts to ensure the process goes smoothly. You could always leave a deposit on her to ensure she is not sold to someone else..
Ok i have to go buy crickets tm so ill check her out! About how long is it before she sheds if she is shiny black?

sheri said:
If you were planning to sell her, you might not see a huge profit. I am not sure what the market will bear there in regard to an adult female. However, doing the currency calculations, that would be roughly $120 cdn. If I was to pirchase her for that amount I would be able to sell her here for about $225 if I found a buyer, and probably for about $150 direct to a pet store. I think that breeding is a better investment, but it doesn't sound like you are that into them, and from what I have read on these boards it is a huge time, and effort committment that can often times not turn out the way you hoped.
But if you love the look of the T, (and they are very pretty) and you want a docile and hardy one, this is a great choice. They will also spend much of thier time out in the open, so those awesome colors are not wasted in a burrow like an H. lividum.
The cheapest ive seen a B smithi go for around here with her size is about $125. Even at that it would be a $35 profit, but im sure i could squeeze out $150+ for her without to much of a problem. As for breeding, I would definetly find someone with experience that has a male here on the boards and ship her out and let them do the work. *lol* Id let them keep half the slings for payment.

*shrug* Its very tempting haha... Ill have to go think about it tonight.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
oogieboogie said:
Ok i have to go buy crickets tm so ill check her out! About how long is it before she sheds if she is shiny black?
From my experience and what I have read, once she is shiny black it should only be a couple of weeks, but I may be wrong as B. smithi is reportedly a very slow grower, and I do not know if that also translates as such pre-molt. Mine was two weeks, but I purchased her in that condition, the breeder did not know how long she was black.
It does sounds like an awesome deal though. Let us know what you end of doing!

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The Smithis that were going for $99.99 at Petco are on sale to PETPals for $39.99. That's a pretty good price considering they are about 2". I'm picking one up tomorrow.........I've never bought an actual living creature from Petco, hopefully it has been well taken care of. They look nice and plump. This sale is only on 'til 4-26 so you better hurry (around here anyway).

eksong

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Unfortunately for me, East Bay Vivarium sells their unsexed B Smithis (3-4") for a steep $165.

lhoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ArachnoDevil - WAIT

I saw you are in San Antonio, TX. Most of the Petco in the central Texas area have had the B. smithi's forever. Ask them to go to $29.99 and I almost guarantee that they will!!

I just did it yesterday in Austin.

Lee Hoy
Georgetown, TX