Australian Rhino Roach

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Couple of immature Australian Rhino Roaches. I believe that these are the biggest in the world when full grown.

specimen courtesy of Frank Somma.

Scott

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
i've seen those beeing sold on an insectfair, about 30 Euro for 1 adult!!!, wich i tought was way to expensive for a roach, i guess they are about 12 cm big adult size???

they feed on rotten leaves i was told, is that correst???

anyway, great roaches

greetz

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think they get 4 inches or more.

They're also supposed to be very long-lived...10 years or more!

Wade

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Any idea how much you would pay for one of those at your place (USA)???

greetz

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I don't remember the exact price, but they were very very expensive if memory serves me at least a bit.

Scott

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd sure expect them to be. I think the handful of people who have them aren't selling but are trying to establish breeding colonies. Is that the case with Frank?

I've also heard that they take several years to reach maturity, not what you'd expect from a cockroach!

Wade

ROACHMAN

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes they have to get to 4 years old to have babies i have around15 of then but they only 2 years old so quite a wait. ;P

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for pointing me over here Scott ;) I've kept heaps of these guys, they are found in my local area. They can get just over four inches and are the heaviest roaches in the world. The actual common name for them is the Giant Burrowing Cockroach, scientific name is Macropanesthia rhinoceros, probably on account of the horn like structure the mature males develop.

Nice pics...
Steve

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well Steve,

Could you possibly post pictures of mature specimens for us(male & female)? Thanks. :)

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Rhino roaches are very neat but their actual size has somehow turned into an urban legend. M. rhinoceros max out at 80 millimeters, a little over three inches. Blaberus giganteus is bigger than the rhino
cockroach, just not heavier. Rhino roaches are often promoted as the heaviest but some of the African hisser species have weighed in higher.

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
seen these at a show i went to yestertday was very tempted to get some but price of 50 pounds bit much for a pair of adults.but they are very nice roaches.they feed on dead eucalyptus leaves as far as i know. :D