australia

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No there are a few breeders of insects that have permission to export. But only insects, no arachnids.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by david
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF AUS,HAS A TOTAL BAN ON EXPORTING INSECTS?
my understanding is that no native sp. may be exported?
Ed

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: Re: australia

Originally posted by atavuss
my understanding is that no native sp. may be exported?
Ed
That is my understanding also, at least as far as private citizens and the pet trade is concerned. There may be permits that allow zoos and museums to exchange livestock, however.

When we're talking insects, are we talking live or dead specimens? Sometimes the permitting is different for deadstock.

I know of at least one tarantula breeder who is working to legally export captive bred Australian tarntulas, but I don't know if he'll succeed.

Wade

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well I know there are a few exporters that have permission to export insects (live stock) from Aus. A friend of mine is a importer, I will ask him for the addresses. If anyone are interested - mail me private.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Crotalus
Well I know there are a few exporters that have permission to export insects (live stock) from Aus. A friend of mine is a importer, I will ask him for the addresses. If anyone are interested - mail me private.
Here's the dealio:

Any invertebrates can be exported from Oz, but the exporter must prove second generation breeding capabilities to do so. The only inverts that aren't allowed to be exported are Atrax and Hadronyche spp. (funnel-webs) and Latrodectus spp. (redback/black widows). This is due to the fact that it's illegal to ship these dangerous spiders anywhere in Oz(can't get them to the airports!). Lelle (Crotalus) is quite right in saying there are insect exporters here in Australia. The majority of their business goes to Japan where insects are all the rage at the moment.

And to Wade, I've already done what's required to export, I just have to compile all needed records and submit them for approval by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)and AQUIS(Australian Quarrantine and Inspection Service). I'm the regional spider identification person in Central Qld, a task I do for the EPA, so it's gonna be a matter of AQUIS approval. It's not far away at all ;) The first species I'll be exporting will be Selenocosmia crassipes. Here's a link from my website:
http://thedailylink.com/australiantarantulas/species/crassipes.html

Cheers,
Steve

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Steve-

Wow, thanks for clearing that up...I was under the impression that the export ban applied to all wildlife, but I guess it's only vertebrates, or is there a simmilar arrangement for them as well?

I suppose the fact that we rarely see Australian insects for sale in the US has more to do with our department of agriculture regulations, which consider all non-native plant feeding insects to be "potential plant pests". Not that there aren't plenty of people with Aussie phasmids here, but the USDA doesn't like it!

As you probablly already guessed, you're the tarantula breeder I was reffering to (based on what I've read on arachnid_world). I take it you will be the first to export tarantulas from Australia legally? That's pretty exciting!

Thanks again...

Wade

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks Steve for your post. I just hope you get the license to export theraphosids! And I hope some day the ban on hexathelids will be lifted ;-)
*Dreaming...*

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Wade
Steve-

Wow, thanks for clearing that up...I was under the impression that the export ban applied to all wildlife, but I guess it's only vertebrates, or is there a simmilar arrangement for them as well?

Hi Wade,
Only the inverts and fish are able to be exported from Oz. There is a total ban on all other exports unless it's for scientific research purposes or supply to a zoo.

I'll be the first, so yep, it's all pretty exciting;)

Cheers,
Steve

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Crotalus
Thanks Steve for your post. I just hope you get the license to export theraphosids! And I hope some day the ban on hexathelids will be lifted ;-)
*Dreaming...*
Thanks Lelle, I hope so too! As for the ban on the Hexathelids, it would be a very, VERY long shot, but you never know.

Cheers,
Steve