Aussie T Question - Are Bioactive setups safe?

Noble Steed

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum so excuse any questions that may have already been answered in other posts. I will be trawling through the pages to see what I can find, but thought I'd ask a question here so I can reference back to it easily.

I currently have a few Australian Tarantulas (2 slings, 1 a few years old), and am curious to find out whether bioactive setups are a healthy option for them? A quick google search before led me to believe that it seems to be a common choice for many international species being kept, but not so much was found when narrowing it down to Australian types.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Many people prefer bio-active enclosures. My opinion would be that as long as the tarantulas' requirements are met and there is no harmful organism in the tank, you should be good to go. :)

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
although for a sling.. That would mean a tiny bio-setup.. a lot of work that isn't it? :D anyway I'm positive that such enclosures are quite common in the hobby, but I really couldn't advise you how to make them. I have none but would definitely love to have them in the future.

Noble Steed

Arachnopeon
Many people prefer bio-active enclosures. My opinion would be that as long as the tarantulas' requirements are met and there is no harmful organism in the tank, you should be good to go. :)
Fantastic, thanks very much for the quick response! Now to do some research on plant/soil varieties best suited.

Noble Steed

Arachnopeon
although for a sling.. That would mean a tiny bio-setup.. a lot of work that isn't it? :D anyway I'm positive that such enclosures are quite common in the hobby, but I really couldn't advise you how to make them. I have none but would definitely love to have them in the future.
The two slings I have are just in simple artificial setups while they are still young, the Bioactive vivarium is an idea I had for my older (3-4yo) T. If it proves successful, I'd love to eventually have them all in setups like that. Of course I want to research and prove an environment before I add any spiders.

boina

Lady of the mites
I usually go with bioactive setups for more moisture loving species and I've even done tiny ones for Megaphobema slings. It's by far not as difficult as people like to make it out to be. You need soil containing organic matter, like topsoil, but even coco fiber earth works. I like to add a bit of leaf litter, since the decaying leaves provide a food source for my clean up crew. Live moss to retain water. Then I add spring tails and a couple of different isopods. Main thing: Never let it dry out. That's the end of any bioactive setup. Oh, and don't clean up the boli or tarantula poop - your little organisms in there need their food after all :)

Noble Steed

Arachnopeon
I usually go with bioactive setups for more moisture loving species and I've even done tiny ones for Megaphobema slings. It's by far not as difficult as people like to make it out to be. You need soil containing organic matter, like topsoil, but even coco fiber earth works. I like to add a bit of leaf litter, since the decaying leaves provide a food source for my clean up crew. Live moss to retain water. Then I add spring tails and a couple of different isopods. Main thing: Never let it dry out. That's the end of any bioactive setup. Oh, and don't clean up the boli or tarantula poop - your little organisms in there need their food after all :)
Sounds great! If you use soil that isn't coco peat, does it need to be treated or a certain type? Also same question in regards to leaf litter. I ask because I want to be sure whatever is used wont harm the spider or carry parasites

boina

Lady of the mites
Sounds great! If you use soil that isn't coco peat, does it need to be treated or a certain type? Also same question in regards to leaf litter. I ask because I want to be sure whatever is used wont harm the spider or carry parasites
No, I don't treat anything - I want the organisms that are in there to live because in all likelyhood they will augment my cleanup crew. BUT, and this is a big but: I live in northern Germany, on the border to Scandinavia. The next tarantula-like spider lives nearly 1000 miles south of here. It is extremely unlikely that any tarantula parasites will make it this far up north, and parasites are generally very specific about what family of animals they infect. I might be more careful if I lived in a region were tarantulas might be running around in my back yard.
Edit: Coco fiber substrate is pretty sterile anyway, no need to do anything to it.

Noble Steed

Arachnopeon
Ah I see! In that case I will need to be a bit more careful as I live in Australia, and there are spiders EVERYWHERE here haha. Thanks for the advice though, gives me somewhere to start at least.