Attacked!!! By a rosehair?

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
One of the spiders I got at the show was a 4-5" rosehair (hey, it was only $5 :p). The dealer told me it was female, but I've had my doubts. Today, Jess and I were getting ready to take it out to sex it and the damned thing pounced on me, then grabbed my hand trying to bite as I pulled away!! This thing's meaner than my usumbara!! :eek:

I threw a few crickets in with it once we'd finished sexing it. It's male, by the way. I've emailed the dealer. I'm expecting a replacement ;P

Here's a photo of that mean little dork enjoying his crickets.

-Bryan

Maelstrom

Arachnopeon
DANG!!!!!

That's pretty crazy - I rememeber when you bought that - and the dealer with his "if you tried to sex a spider at that size (talking about a different spider...) you'd definately be wrong" comment. Kinda ironic, don'tcha think?

the "mean little dork" comment made me laugh though

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Close call for me

darn, sounds like your Rosie is a little moody 2.... like mine!

at first she was as sweet as pie... but lately she is very cranky.... i clean out her cage with like tweezer kind-a things and if i touch her with them or if i mess with her webbing to much she gets in the threat positive and she tried to bite me once when i was trying to get her out to hold her!

most may be docile as a rock..... but not mine!

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Spider eats owners hand

So like, nobody told me to RE-REGISTER when we got the new forums, if they did, I guess I forgot. Well, I have a new name, Im spider savior, I save spiders, literally. I used to be Arachnia79. So anyway,
Ive had similar experiances with my Rose, when she HUNGRY. I would go to pick a dead cricket out or some other refuse, and the little bugger would pounce on me and I would draw back with my pulse racing ! What an adventure ! EEP. :eek:
I wouldnt take it too seriously, he probably mistook you for supper.....I had a male Rose once, he was so docile, he would let me do anything, he LIKED being petted under his belly and walked all over me. My girl though, she is moody, must be PMSing.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Heres my baby Rose, this was taken by her original owner, Terrance. TER, if you see this, email me ! Havent heard from U in ages ! Its pearl_girl79@hotmail.com.

Anyway, this is my Rose. Sometimes called ROsie. =D Shes much bigger now !

Last edited:

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have a recently matured male rosehair (ultimate moult 06/02/02) who (before his ultimate moult) was docile as anything....now...if he is in his artificial burrow (flower pot half exposed in substrate) and i mess around in the fower pot (shoo-ing crickets in/out or whatever) too much he will bite!!!....and boy is he fast when he strikes....i guess he is just defending his burrow because when he is anywhere else he is sweet as a baby...i can pet him or hold him or anything.......i havent been bitten because i use the handle (long end) of a wooden spoon...but the spoon handle has had several bites!!!