Ats Conference Questions.

Big Mike

Arachnopeon
I was wondering if anyone had any info on an upcoming conference of the ATS. I searched the site and all I can find is info on the 1999 conference.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
It's scheduled June 12-14 in Carlsbad NM. Those are the dates for the presentations; as in previous years, many people will arrive early and stay late to do extra collecting in the area.

Hope to see you there!

Joy

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I went last year, and we came in a day early. Alot of people stayed an entire week, which we plan on doing next year. IF you are flying, El Paso is the closest airport, which is still 3 hours away. Last year, we tried finding people to carpool with, to save on a car rental, but everyone had already bought their plane tickets and the times didn't match up. I'm trying to plan ahead for next year so that could possibly happen.
Even though the conference is only 3 days, it really packs alot in, and if you stay longer, you'll get to go collecting more, and hang out with everyone else that is staying longer as well!
We also stopped at Carlsbad Caverns on our way out, if you've never been there it's worth taking a look at as well.

Big Mike

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info. But can anyone tell me when it is, and how much it costs? There is no info at all on their site.

Thanks again,

Mike

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Ummmm, Joy posted what the dates are in her reply to you :) As for cost, I believe that the registration fee is $20 per person. You have to pay for your own hotel room as well.

Scott

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
It's scheduled June 12-14 in Carlsbad NM. Those are the dates for the presentations; as in previous years, many people will arrive early and stay late to do extra collecting in the area.

Hope to see you there!

Joy

WOO-HOO! Count me in!
I'll be there with, (as my nana used to say) "with bells on."

Peace,
Gillian

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Mike
Thanks for the info. But can anyone tell me when it is, and how much it costs? There is no info at all on their site.

Thanks again,

Mike

Carlsbad is in the south east part of New Mexico.

Peace,
Gillian

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
that is correct..it's only $20 for adults, kids are free.
the 'official' hotel last year, and the year before is the Quality Inn, in which I got a room with 2 queen beds for $55 per night plus tax. John Hoke rents the 2 room suite there, and has ALOT of inverts for sale.
Most of the attendees stay there, there's a pool, and a bar, and the rooms are ok. There are cheaper hotels, but I'd be scared to stay in them :)
There are a couple of nicer hotels as well, closer to the conference (at the Univ.), but I'd rather stay where everyone else is staying!

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Holley,
I and my better half stayed at such a bad hotel. (how bad was it?) Well, truthfully, try a wake up call, at 7 a.m., for room service you didn't order. Wait, it gets better. Try picturing me in a economy bed. I'm 5'9, and my feet, and ankles were off the end of the bed. Then, one morning, we refused to answer the door. Guess what? The d@mn maid walked in us! :8o

Peace,
Gillian

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Holley,
Then, one morning, we refused to answer the door. Guess what? The d@mn maid walked in us! :8o

Peace,
Gillian
well......you were only sleeping, eh?
=D
Ed

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss
well......you were only sleeping, eh?
=D
Ed
Well, as the man said in the Hertz commercial...

"not exactly"...:8o :) :8o

Peace,
Gillian

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Joy, will there be an ATS Conference at Seattle, Washington? cuz I don't want to take the bus or fly over there.. :) well.. anyone in here from Seattle?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Theraposa,
the conference is held every year in Carlsbad, as far as I know, it will always be held there ;)
I'm not in Seattle but close, about 35 miles west of Portland.

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would like to go but New Mexico is a long ways away :(

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I will go as soon as I am financially independent. Hopefully, the conferences will continue to occur for a while.

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
too bad there isn't an east coast and west coast one.... i'd love to go if the drive wasn't like 2 days long.... i could handle one day drive.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by Theraposa
:) but why???? :( I guess seattle is too cold for most people :)
Maybe because NM is where the ATS is headquartered and you're not gonna be able to do much field collecting of inverts in Seattle.

:)

Scott

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is this only for members of ATS, or is it open for anybody? And if it is open to anybody, do non-members have to pay more?

And speaking of the ATS, what would the benefits of joining such organization?

Big Dragonfly