asthma and t's

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have asthma real bad i live in phoenix, it gets bad when the seasons change here anywayz my uncle told my grandmother that tarantulas can be bad for asthma like with there hair flicking etc. i know that a bite can give me a bad reaction thats why im extra carful but is t hair really bad for asthmas or is my uncle full of it???

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
T bristles are a defense mechanism, of course they're potentially bad. Look at it as venom. An asthma attack is when your "wind pipes" constrict, right? Don't try to figure out what urticating bristles can do to you.

Dario

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by D-Man
T bristles are a defense mechanism, of course they're potentially bad. Look at it as venom. An asthma attack is when your "wind pipes" constrict, right? Don't try to figure out what urticating bristles can do to you.

Dario
im just curious to what it can do like if im alergic to a certain thing or not, i dont plan on pissing my L.Parahybana(my only T to flick alot of hairs as of now) just to see what it will do if thats what you mean but i would like to know if the hiar cause allergic reactions

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
I would think you're more susceptable to an allergic reaction because of your asthma. My brother had asthma - growing up was a trip seeing him struggle to breathe when attacks occured. Urticating hairs irritate when they come in contact with skin, nose, eyes, mouth - throw asthma in the mix and who the hell knows what can happen. Be careful, dude!

D

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Sean
I have asthma real bad i live in phoenix, it gets bad when the seasons change here anywayz my uncle told my grandmother that tarantulas can be bad for asthma like with there hair flicking etc. i know that a bite can give me a bad reaction thats why im extra carful but is t hair really bad for asthmas or is my uncle full of it???
the best thing that I have found to take care of urticating hairs is a HEPA air filter. I run mine on the high setting on a desk where I do any cleaning, feeding, watering, etc. if any hairs get airborne they get sucked right into the filter.
Ed

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Re: asthma and t's

Originally posted by atavuss
the best thing that I have found to take care of urticating hairs is a HEPA air filter. I run mine on the high setting on a desk where I do any cleaning, feeding, watering, etc. if any hairs get airborne they get sucked right into the filter.
Ed
where could i get one of those and how much are they thanks for that info...and d-man ill be carful like i said im not going to go piss off a spider or inhale the hairs..lol

bugguy1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have severe asthma and have been hospitalized many times, some in the intensive care on a ventilator. I have also kept tarantulas for over 25 years and have never had a reaction, other than one anyone could have. I do take extra care not to breathe in potential hairs that may be in the air. If I get the hairs on my skin I get the normal reaction of localized itchyness and even a slight rash - this always seems to go away immediately after washing the affected skin with cold water. I personally do not see any connection b/w keeping tarantulas and asthma. I would be more concerned with a bite than a non-asthmatic though. Since the asthma attack is triggered by various things, who knows what, if anything, tarantula venom would do.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: asthma and t's

where could i get one of those and how much are they thanks for that info...and d-man ill be carful like i said im not going to go piss off a spider or inhale the hairs..lol
I also use a HEPA filter..I think I paid about $40 for it, got it at the local hardware store. I use it for working with my B smithi, and my L parahybana...those really seem to get my allergy related asthma going sometimes.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: asthma and t's

Target, Wal-mart, K-mart, etc. should have them. I bought mine at target, it is for a 10x12 room and it cost around 70.00.
Ed