Assassin ID?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Caught this guy while walking my dog this afternoon, any idea on exactly what it is and recommendations for care?

Top view:

Attachments

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
and now a side view:

Captured in Blacksburg, VA, size is about 1.25-1.5"

Attachments

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Arilus cristatus- Wheel bug, Code. Beautiful insects, and they can be kept communally...

Orin Mcmonigle's site

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks, John, that is the beast. This one looks like a female so maybe I'll get some eggs. I'll keep an eye out in the golden rod for any more. I love it when a simple walk yields treasure :)

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My mom was hounding me to get off the computer, so she could search for sewing stuff- the perils of being a single computer household. Don't know why it didn't link to that excellent web site... Wade has about six or seven grown wheelies lurking around, by the way...

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not anymore, most have died off, end of life cycle I expect. One is holding on strong, however. Sole survivor! I didn't see any sign of eggs...

Elytra and Antenna have a new book, "Assasins, Water Scorpions & Other True Bugs: Care and Culture" I assume Orin is the author, but I can't find anybody's name on the book!

Wade

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
So how much does this bug need to eat? It's already polished off two good sized crickets since I caught it and is giving me "a look" :)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've been giving mine 2 crickets a week, but it seems to be in it's later stages and not eating so much. If your's is still interested, it's probaly fine to give it more. The problem with overfeeding at this stage is that uneaten crickets may feed on eggs if she lays them.

A problem with assasins in general is that you need to be sure to pick out prey remains. They leave a lot more leftovers than T's! It's not so bad with a couple of individuals, but when rearing a lot of nymphs the garbage can pile up qick. I lost my whole colony of E. floridanus (a predatory stink bug) because I went away for the weekend without cleaning up first and conditions became very foul in just a couple days. A major bummer, as I had kept it going through 4 generations :( ! Not an issue for you now, but if you get eggs...

Wade

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It is definitely a girl!

Looked over at my assassin this evening and was greeted by the sight of her laying me a whole bunch of eggs. Guess she's been happy with the food :)

Attachments

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congratulations, that's very cool! I hope you'll keep us updated on them.

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A. cristatus eggs

Code- I kept a batch of A. cristatus and reared them from hatchlings... the eggs will overwinter and hatch out during May to June of next summer, unless< if I'm not mistaken> you incubate them in some way.

Mist every three days or as needed. Good luck and remember... ff and the tiniest critters you can possibly find< as my back will testify>. I spent nearly all summer in an unergonomically sound position...:)

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've found two of them in my area.. Kinda regret letting them go. Once even at Wal Mart!

Just don't let them bite/sting/whatever you, I hear it's awfully painful.