assassin bugs?

silver_arctic1

Arachnopeon
I recently caught a bunch of little orange bugs with black legs that I originally thought were aphids. Upon closer inspection, I saw a snout-like protrusion on their head...and when I dropped in some flies, they quickly attacked and pierced the flies with their snout. With this, I've confirmed that they are indeed assassin bugs. I've never kept them before so does anyone know what this species is? They have a very bright orange body with black legs, long antennas, and two tiny black dots on their back.

Thanks,
Evan

silver_arctic1

Arachnopeon
My camera is broken so I'll have to get it fixed before I can take pics again. :(

After giving them lots more flies, I'm definitely sure they're assassin bugs. I just need to know which species I'm keeping. I caught them in Houston, TX if that helps with location.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
From what you described, it sounds like you may have 1st or second instar "wheel bug" Arilus cristatus , which is one of the largest species of assasin bugs.

silver_arctic1

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your help, but I don't think it's the wheel bug. I looked it up and their nymphs have black and red on their body, the ones I caught have a completely bright orange body.

gphx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Identifying assassins

As an example, there are at least 20 identified assassin species in the state of Arizona alone. Texas, being bigger, likely has more. Identifying them as nymphs can be an extreme exercise in frustration as their coloration often changes with each molt. Do yourself a big favor and grown them out prior to identifying them.

Then send me a private email to let me know what species you then have for sale. ; )