Assassin bug deaths

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My husband bought me three white-spotted assassin bug nymphs last Christmas and all three died during molts within a month or two of their arrival. I still can't figure out what I did wrong with them.

I was keeping them in deli cups with the same organic potting soil that I used with all of my Ts and at the same ambient temperature (high 70s to mid 80s). All but one seemed to be eating well and I wasn't surprised when that one died, but the other two were a shock since they had been active up until the molts that killed them.

I'd like to try them again, but I'm hesitant because I'm not sure what went wrong with the last ones.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the link. I think I may have been keeping them too moist, the winters here are very humid. Maybe I'll give them another try with this new info.

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How often did you mist, Galeo? I only mist my white spots about every week or so, as they're an arid species...

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was misting them every couple of days, but with all the rain we get here in the winter it was probably overkill.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IME, aboreal true bugs do better if provided with a lot of ventilation. Deli cups may work, but you might want to cut out part of the lid and glue in some screen. I have found that most aboreal insects are more sensitive to poor air quality than arachnids.

Wade