Asian forest scorpion acting strange help,babie hairy dessert scorps pics included

LucaBrasi3

Arachnopeon
Ok so I did do a search for this type of thread and I checked alot of other threads looking for similar question. I hate starting another. So first I'm sorry! Ok my problems. I have 2 adult scorpions 12 babies. Soo my adult male Asian forest scorpion has always been a lil strange. He hates me. Super aggressive towards me and his food. For about a month he borrowed into the substrate closed it up and chilled in there. Wouldnt come out. I left him alone. Kept up with his chores. He eventually came back out. All pissed off still. But since my female hairy dessert scorpion had 12 babies. It's like it did something to him. I tried less heat. I tried more heat. But he just sits out on the substrate heat no heat it doesnt effect were hes sitting. HE NEVER DOES THIS. Hes always under his log being a dick. He let me touch him and didnt try to sting me. He just twitched a lil. He ate last week. Fed him this week and he killed everything. Just sitting around the top of his enclosure. Stretched out. Again he is never out from under his log except at night hunting. PLEASE ADVICE? ok on to my babies. I bought her 75 days ago. Bought her(thought it was a him) as a sub adult. Then came home 1 day and bammmm she covered in tiny white things. I freaked out was about to hop in there and start kiking all the little white things asses. When I looked closer and they were babies to my surprise. So we had 12 babies. We have 10 and they have molted and are in there own enclosure. I caught some pinhead crickets from venom and locos cages and dropped them in with the babies. So what do I do next? I will also try to include alot of pics to help get answer,tips,advice. Thanks for the help in advance. For all those helping. Thank you 20201129_215846.jpg 20201129_215854.jpg 20201129_215938.jpg 20201125_111915.jpg 20201123_095346.jpg

Attachments

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm drawing a blank. I've never seen that kind of behavior in the wild. In fact, in the wild he would have been a bird breakfast quite some time ago Chance of survival out in the open during the day is zilch. Conclusion; he's suicidal (end of his days?) or this is unique to a captive animal.

@LucaBrasi3
I'll venture a possibly stupid wild guess. Male scorps are very strongly hardwired with a mating instinct. Out looking for romance they ignore bright lights as my flashlight and headlights of vehicles. Survival instinct over-ridden. So possibly he pursued his programming but the EOF, End Of File wasn't written into his code. He's at a loose end. No further instructions. No directive or purpose.

Last edited:

LucaBrasi3

Arachnopeon
I was curious if her releasing any hormones would do anything. But in the picture it doesnt do him justice. Hes completely stretched out. Relaxed. Hes alive but docile instead of super aggressive. Its like he found a scorpion weed stash and hit puberty at same time. I have put 2 diff lights on him didnt make him run hide. He would just lay there. Took the heat away he just layed there. Followed him with heat pad to side of his enclosure he did move away to the spot in the pictures. When I took them about 15 mins before posting them he let me rub down his back. Twice and I felt like he would of let me keep going. I watched his tail it didnt even curl just twitched and he layed there. Again hes usally under a log that's half under half out of the substrate. And it's been were he would spend 90% of his time unless hunting crickets. I'm overwhelmed honestly with the babies and know hes acting weird. And I cant seem to get anyones enclosure just right. I have to check them every hour or so to make sure everyones temps humids are correct. His name is venom. But his humids have been high. More around 80 to 90 instead of 75 as usally but things got adjusted and I havnt rele gotten control of it but I didnt think over humid would effect like this.

LucaBrasi3

Arachnopeon
Also dont male scorps get eaten after sex? So if the female didnt eat him would he just die? Did she release pheromones that will make him die bc she got him horny and is expected to just give up?

The Snark

Old Timer
I really don't know beans about scorp physiology. But the norm with near all arachs is males seek out females from hardwiring, not triggers like hormones. And no, I don't think female scorps always consider hubbys as meals. They all seem to ignore each other in the wilds except some male domination skirmishes.
The operations manual with all the 'forest scorps is photophobic max and life under deep moist detritus is the way to go.

LucaBrasi3

Arachnopeon
I really don't know beans about scorp physiology. But the norm with near all arachs is males seek out females from hardwiring, not triggers like hormones. And no, I don't think female scorps always consider hubbys as meals. They all seem to ignore each other in the wilds except some male domination skirmishes.
The operations manual with all the 'forest scorps is photophobic max and life under deep moist detritus is the way to go.

Thank you. I'm doing everything I know. Hope he doesnt kik the bucket.

LucaBrasi3

Arachnopeon
Small update. This picture is about 5mins ago. He never went under his log. He hasnt moved but few inches from last night. His forearms are pulled back but out. Like waiting for something to walk into his trap. Except I know hes not hungry. He ate last week. And killed all other food put in the enclosure. Also the dead cricket in both pics was pulled out after this pic. In case anyone keeping up with my chores. Lol 20201130_114741.jpg

LucaBrasi3

Arachnopeon
Noooo I just checked on him. Hes on his back!!! I havnt done anything. To him. I dont know what I'm doing wrong please anyone??

Attachments

LucaBrasi3

Arachnopeon
Please anything? I take such good care of these guys. There my past time. He was my first. And up until 7 days ago he acts like this. Hes fed last week. And just flipped over. I will do anything just tell me what to do?

The Snark

Old Timer
I've sent your pictures off to the local entomologist. It could take a while. Few experts are keeping regular hours right now due to Covid.
But just a wild guess comparing him to the ones I've seen he has acute abdominal distention. Possibly molting, or impaction.

LucaBrasi3

Arachnopeon
I've sent your pictures off to the local entomologist. It could take a while. Few experts are keeping regular hours right now due to Covid.
But just a wild guess comparing him to the ones I've seen he has acute abdominal distention. Possibly molting, or impaction.

Thank you so much!! He looks swollen!! But he hasnt taken any damage ever!! Hes had a easy almost no contact from me fed watered,heat,humidty all included. And almost on a schedule. It hurts my heart bc if hes hurting and theres nothing I can do. I dont know if I keep him warm. Do i flip him over. My instinct is that when creatures flip over usally means there dead. But he just ate not more then 5 days ago. He had prey options he killed them all. I added more he killed them then started this leaving enclosure not moving then layed over on his back. The only thing I feel i may have gotten wrong was a 90% humidity rate. But his body is clean of any fungus or mites or anything. It's very ideal to his natural home. Thanks again snark. With the hairy babies. There mom and this at same time I'm overwhelmed.

The Snark

Old Timer
Eating should never be taken as solid proof of health. Only a rough indicator. I read of an insect, and there is probably more than one, that continues to eat after it has lost a part of it's digestive system. Also, take into account the native environments of animals. Some go weeks or even months without food and are quite healthy. As a general rule, over eating causes far more deaths than not eating. The metabolism of animals can slow down or even stop more easily than it can accelerate to assimilate food.
There is a grad student at S CM College that has extensively studied scorps I have been referred to. I've sent a couple of emails but don't hold your breath.

LucaBrasi3

Arachnopeon
So over eating is a problem? Bc I was providing 5 crickets a week. He wouldnt ever eat all 5. Sometimes eat none of them and they would just die off. I only actually saw him eat 1 time. 90% of his time he was under his log. Then this. I really looked close to him. His bottom armor has a yellowish tinted in the middle of each peice. But looks healthy if not swollen

The Snark

Old Timer
That is dead wrong about leaf litter increases it becoming more visible. And they hunt in the leaf litter but prefer to live in the loose soil and compost beneath it. Think about an environment packed to the brim with predatory birds. Scorps abve ground are perfect targets. A real good example is our roads. Sometimes dozens of road kills from the night before. All are cleaned up and gone a couple hours after dawn. It's a very common sight to see birds perched on cattle and water buffalo backs, using them as convenient hunting perches.

LucaBrasi3

Arachnopeon
That is dead wrong about leaf litter increases it becoming more visible. And they hunt in the leaf litter but prefer to live in the loose soil and compost beneath it. Think about an environment packed to the brim with predatory birds. Scorps abve ground are perfect targets. A real good example is our roads. Sometimes dozens of road kills from the night before. All are cleaned up and gone a couple hours after dawn. It's a very common sight to see birds perched on cattle and water buffalo backs, using them as convenient hunting perches.

Right!!! Same here birds pick that off easy.

LucaBrasi3

Arachnopeon
So while I'm waiting to see what happens with Venom aka (Asian Forest scorp) and if he molts or dies. I did the hairy dessert scorps chores. Cleaned out mamas enclosure. Also the painstaking task of catching baby pinheads from her setup to feed the babies. Pics below of the tools I use. And then after I caught them I dropped them into the babies enclosure. And tried to get some picture of them. A d they seemed to be actively hunting the pinheads. But no good pics. I broke the legs off some extra small crickets and dropped them off on a few rocks in the babies setup in case they cant catch the pin heads. I have 10 babies. But I only saw 2 a d do have to worry about them eating each other. But for know all chores and everything I know to do is done. Pics of my set up. Below as well. And my kitten Smoky. Its gona hurt to lose Venom. But if it happens I'll move the babies into moms living eco system with the lil mites and stuff they can eat. And I'll make her a new set up.

Attachments

LucaBrasi3

Arachnopeon

@Snark. Thanks for your help. Venom passed away on 11/30/2020. I still do not know what caused it. But I have saved his body and frozen it. On the off chance your entomologist gets back to you mabey i can send him venom and he can tell me what went wrong. I found the rest of my dessert hairy babies. We have 30 all togther. So I would like to find out if what he died from. In case it could effect the babies. Thanks again snarky