Artificial motherhood?

squamata99

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Has anyone tried to raise orphaned babies that were left behind by the mother. I'm on my 4th day with a couple of them - newborns -. One looks like it will make it not sure with the other. Olive keeled. Let you know what happens.

Thiscordia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I kept 4 H. hottentotta for 4 days befor they all die.
:( I've red that they will dehidrate and die.

-.Raul

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't understand how the young scorplings die w.o the mother. I mean i heard they dehydrate too but my question is how?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The mother must secrete something that keeps them hydrated. As you can see, we have sooooooo much to learn about scorpions ;)

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi guys,
I just want to share my observation. I have seen my chaerilus celebensis clutch about 15 of them. Two of my ungravid adopted the offsprings of the one that gave birth I think its because they are to many for the mother to carry(I am sure the two adopters are not gravid). Has anyone seen this with other species? Such a very communal species....

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
has any 1 conducted a study on how they keep the young'ns hydrated.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
It has been shown using tagged water that the young take up moisture from their mother. There has been some success rasing 1st instars to second instar on moist paper towles, but the results are spotty at best. I've managed to get the moult but never much longevity past that.

Cheers,
Dave

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi guys,
I just want to share my observation. I have seen my chaerilus celebensis clutch about 15 of them. Two of my ungravid adopted the offsprings of the one that gave birth I think its because they are to many for the mother to carry(I am sure the two adopters are not gravid). Has anyone seen this with other species? Such a very communal species....

i kept before the females w/ the male until they pop, i saw one on the males back, then after an hour i saw the tiny scorpling on the males mouth!
:D

probobly babies have the instict to move on the adults or any other's back so that they can get some moisture or something.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have raised 1st instar scorplings that didn't go on their mothers back. I tried it on L.q to emperor to Iomachus politus. As long as you give them heat with no night drop temps and moist tissue then they will be fine. Also, make sure to keep the tissue moist all the time. If you want to be safe then keep it wet (that's what I do) :D .