Artificial food?

cold blood

Staff member
Tarantula diet and nutrition is something I have been interested in for a while. One of these days I'd like to get multiple of the same species and raise each to adulthood with various individually picked out diets. I'm sure that with enough of the right research that there is certain foods that are optimal and others that would make very healthy supplements.

Woulda been nice for someone to have done that for me in the past 30 years...lol. Some day I will try this myself with a faster growing species.

I would be interested to learn if anyone has done anything like this (published or not), I haven't read of any official studies done on the subject. Who knows, end result could be that the good ole cricket or roach turns out to be the best. Who knows, it could also potentially show something that could change the way we feed if, say something like mayflies or a certain breed of moth turned be the most nutritious. just a thought.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Just found this. Someone feeding their Phlogius sarina animal meat because they found the live food cultures smelt and were too high maintenance :0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtzaAAYeDqs
Thanks for finding that. I had no idea that would work. Its nice to know that there are options if you ever run out of feeders. You could always store some dead crickets/roaches in your freezer. Thaw one out and feed it to your T.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I emailed him and will let you know what he said. In the meantime I've contacted NASA to see when their Star Trek Food Replicator 3.0 will be released to public, funny they haven't gotten back to me ;)

Blut und ehre

Arachnoknight
I prefer the older "Bugs Bunny "type pill.....just add a drop of water.....and "insta-roach"....... I'm obviously not as advanced as you Viper!! Your very special indeed....hahahahhaah

I emailed him and will let you know what he said. In the meantime I've contacted NASA to see when their Star Trek Food Replicator 3.0 will be released to public, funny they haven't gotten back to me ;)

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Replicators are nice. I use mine to make everything from omelettes to machete-firing machine guns.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hahahahah or you can try the "salivation army?" ....Good luck!!!
I heard back from the arachnologist I know regarding Ts. The info is not species specific. Regarding the topic of publications on T food diversity this was told to me

There are no papers on this subject for theraphosid diets/observations in
the wild simply because very few people
have gone to see theraphosids in the wild and, the ones that have, were
mostly interested in rapid collection for the
pet trade ... not there to 'observe' them in nature.

Last edited:

Blut und ehre

Arachnoknight
I figured as much!! ...thanks man!

I heard back from the arachnologist I know regarding Ts. The info is not species specific. Regarding the topic of publications on T food diversity this was told to me

There are no papers on this subject for theraphosid diets/observations in
the wild simply because very few people
have gone to see theraphosids in the wild and, the ones that have, were
mostly interested in rapid collection for the
pet trade ... not there to 'observe' them in nature.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Yeah, that's about what I expected. It's unfortunate, but it's what we've got right now. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will do a field study in the fairly near future.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, that's about what I expected. It's unfortunate, but it's what we've got right now. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will do a field study in the fairly near future.
I expected the same-- as for the research, don't hold your breath.