Arizona wolf spider

arizonablue

Arachnosquire
Picked up this little guy recently. I've always been wary of tarantulas but wolf spiders look downright friendly. This one only has seven legs, I'm not sure if he's done molting or if the leg will grow back, but missing a limb doesn't stop him from devouring any and all crickets offered.

I've got him in a long tank with some eco-earth and scattered oak leaves and rocks, as well as a bark hide and a stick he can climb on. His favorite spot seems to be the back corner, though, as he's dug out a little burrow and wedges himself down in it. I might get him another little piece of bark to tuck over it so he feels more secure down there.

I don't have a water dish in there for him - I've been misting the oak leaves and rocks in the evening so there are usually plenty of droplets for him to sip at. I've seen some sources that say an actual dish is best, though. Should I add one?

wolf.jpg

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It sounds like you've got a pretty good setup for him. I have four of the big Tucson Hogna wolf spiders (two males, two females) and I don't use water dishes for any of them. I have them caged separately on a sand/eco earth mix with some leaves, twigs, and bark for hiding under. I mist 2-3 times a week and they seem to get enough water from that and their food. I feed them crickets roughly once a week and they are voracious eaters. Two of the four I've raised from slings (offspring of a previous pet of mine) and two were wild-caught last spring. The wild-caught female is toting an egg sac that should be hatching pretty soon. I may try to mate the captive born female with the wild caught male one of these days - I just don't want her to eat him.

arizonablue

Arachnosquire
I mist 2-3 times a week and they seem to get enough water from that and their food. I feed them crickets roughly once a week and they are voracious eaters.
Huh, I might be misting too much, then. I've been thinking about mixing in some sand with the substrate but haven't done it yet. How many crickets do you give at a feeding? I've been offering mine a single cricket every other day or so and he devours them right away. I feel like I'm overfeeding him but surely he wouldn't chow down immediately if he wasn't hungry?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Lyco's can be right pigs about eating, even when feeling off. Make sure it has a hide, a dry place, and go easy on the chow. It will come out at night and range around when it gets hungry. (Or horny)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Huh, I might be misting too much, then. I've been thinking about mixing in some sand with the substrate but haven't done it yet. How many crickets do you give at a feeding? I've been offering mine a single cricket every other day or so and he devours them right away. I feel like I'm overfeeding him but surely he wouldn't chow down immediately if he wasn't hungry?
I'll usually toss in 2-3 crickets (depending on how big they are) roughly once a week or so.

arizonablue

Arachnosquire
It will come out at night and range around when it gets hungry. (Or horny)
He has been roving around quite a lot - perhaps I've been mistaking horny for hungry, haha. Sorry little dude, it's just you in there!

I'll usually toss in 2-3 crickets (depending on how big they are) roughly once a week or so.
Thanks! I think I'll cut back a little before he gets too spoiled.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What species is it over there in AZ, I just emailed somebody about species around Texas. Is it Hogna coloradensis you have there?

arizonablue

Arachnosquire
What species is it over there in AZ, I just emailed somebody about species around Texas. Is it Hogna coloradensis you have there?
It's Hogna something, but unfortunately I'm not certain of the species. This one was caught locally in Tucson, but that's all I know. From pictures of coloradensis I don't think that's what I have, but I can't be sure. Mine looks closer to pictures of Hogna carolinensis.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It sounds like you've got a pretty good setup for him. I have four of the big Tucson Hogna wolf spiders (two males, two females) and I don't use water dishes for any of them. I have them caged separately on a sand/eco earth mix with some leaves, twigs, and bark for hiding under. I mist 2-3 times a week and they seem to get enough water from that and their food. I feed them crickets roughly once a week and they are voracious eaters. Two of the four I've raised from slings (offspring of a previous pet of mine) and two were wild-caught last spring. The wild-caught female is toting an egg sac that should be hatching pretty soon. I may try to mate the captive born female with the wild caught male one of these days - I just don't want her to eat him.
Hi I have about 22 hogna spexits Tucson wolf's I think they are also being called desert variety carolinensis mine don't have the jet black bottom abdomen or ventor.

Just curious how big is the largest one you have body length?

Attachments

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi I have about 22 hogna spexits Tucson wolf's I think they are also being called desert variety carolinensis mine don't have the jet black bottom abdomen or ventor.

Sorry for bad spelling hogna species Tucson no black ventral almost orange :)

Stugy

Arachnolord
Buahahaha After reading this thread I realized that I am overfeeding my Hogna lenta. I feed her literally any time I have an extra cricket or if everything else in my small collection refuses to eat. At one point I fed her each day for a week and a half. I love wolf spiders so much. They eat without hesitation. I want to get some more as I only see the tiny wolf spiders in my area. I want them big ones!

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Buahahaha After reading this thread I realized that I am overfeeding my Hogna lenta. I feed her literally any time I have an extra cricket or if everything else in my small collection refuses to eat. At one point I fed her each day for a week and a half. I love wolf spiders so much. They eat without hesitation. I want to get some more as I only see the tiny wolf spiders in my area. I want them big ones!

Can't go wrong with hogna carolinensis I have 20 youngsters I have kept since they came out of egg sac growing fast here is a recent pick about 4th instar

I have always wanted to raise a handful to observe size differences so far there are a few that stand out as being ahead of the game Same amount of molts but overall larger spider will be interesting to see how big they get.

Some get large some get huge some get monstrous all depends kinda like humans none are alike .

I have seen a pic of a hogna carolinensis from Texas canyon Arizona that had a two inch body ! That should put her about 4.5 - 5 inch legspan very uncommon but possible.

I once had a male carolinensis from Florida who matured at 4.5 of course he had long legs smaller body can't imagine seeing a female two inch body. Largest female I ever had was 1.5 inch body 4 inch legspan.

Here is a pic of the large male I had from Florida 4.5 diagonal legspan.

Attachments

Stugy

Arachnolord
Can't go wrong with hogna carolinensis I have 20 youngsters I have kept since they came out of egg sac growing fast here is a recent pick about 4th instar

I have always wanted to raise a handful to observe size differences so far there are a few that stand out as being ahead of the game Same amount of molts but overall larger spider will be interesting to see how big they get.

Some get large some get huge some get monstrous all depends kinda like humans none are alike .

I have seen a pic of a hogna carolinensis from Texas canyon Arizona that had a two inch body ! That should put her about 4.5 - 5 inch legspan very uncommon but possible.

I once had a male carolinensis from Florida who matured at 4.5 of course he had long legs smaller body can't imagine seeing a female two inch body. Largest female I ever had was 1.5 inch body 4 inch legspan.

Here is a pic of the large male I had from Florida 4.5 diagonal legspan.
Wow those fangs are beautiful. My Hogna lenta has some faint traits for that it seems. But mine is most definitely a Hogna lenta. Maybe when I get money I'll buy a few Hogna carolinensis. :p

The Snark

Old Timer
Just remember. Abundant food accelerates nearly all basal bodily functions. Combined with an ideal environment things can get exacerbated. In short lived spiders this translates into discontent, constantly seeking to mate, inherent bodily weaknesses such as susceptibility to cancer and diseases are also accelerated. A number of 'survival' functions such as energy conservation, protein storage and the ability to metabolize food tend to weaken. IE Killing your animal with kindness.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Just remember. Abundant food accelerates nearly all basal bodily functions. Combined with an ideal environment things can get exacerbated. In short lived spiders this translates into discontent, constantly seeking to mate, inherent bodily weaknesses such as susceptibility to cancer and diseases are also accelerated. A number of 'survival' functions such as energy conservation, protein storage and the ability to metabolize food tend to weaken. IE Killing your animal with kindness.
Well................................... [add more dots] that..... that made me feel like some kind of sociopath as in loving something and then killing it in the long run (referencing your sociopath thread in which I am :p [i don't kill people but I got some of those traits lol])

The Snark

Old Timer
Like I said, Lycos are pigs. Will eat till they pop.