Are Ts getting to much light .

basin79

ArachnoGod
Im not misunderstandimg. If an animal avoids light and almost never sees it naturally, how is the light needed?

Its not like us where we get critical nutrients from the sun....we, and most mammals do have that need, but for a t light just signifies a time to hide away. Hence the reason a t not ecposed to light has much less need to hide away.

If an asteroid hit us and blanketed us in total darkness, many, if not most life would struggle to survive....many inverts like roaches and spiders would not.

Its an interesting topic and maybe one day it will be proven, but till then we really just have our theories and assumptions.

But i use roaches as a "guide" because they are known to not require light, and just like most ts (yes, im sure theres exceptions), avoid light at all costs....and you cant need something if your life is all about avoiding it.

Many arachnids do live in caves, many others live underground which isnt any differrent...go to any place devoid of light, like your cave example, and you will find arachnids as long as its not too cold of course
Fair points.

Some of my T's come out during the day. They've absolutely no need as they have hides. But they choose to. The rest of my T's come out at night. once it comes light they hide away again.

That's more than enough for me to give them a day and night cycle.

cold blood

Staff member
Fair points.

Some of my T's come out during the day. They've absolutely no need as they have hides. But they choose to. The rest of my T's come out at night. once it comes light they hide away again.

That's more than enough for me to give them a day and night cycle.
Like i said, theres an exception to every rule....chilean species and GBBs are indeed known to bask...so fair point on your end as well.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
You know what is pretty weird?

I have a porteri who spends 90% of his time in the ONE corner of his enclosure that gets a tiny bit of sunlight from a nearby window. He loves that bright corner.
I have always assumed that he thinks the bright corner is his ticket out of his man-made home and into the wild for a romantic rendezvous with a sassy girl by the name of Rosie. :wacky:

Who knows...just a speculation.
My G. pulchra is like that as well. A redirection from one of my monitors causes a line of sun to shine across her enclosure and she loves sitting in it. I assume it's for warmth but my space heather is closer to the other side. Like you say...it's just speculation :)

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Im not misunderstandimg. If an animal avoids light and almost never sees it naturally, how is the light needed?

Its not like us where we get critical nutrients from the sun....we, and most mammals do have that need, but for a t light just signifies a time to hide away. Hence the reason a t not ecposed to light has much less need to hide away.

If an asteroid hit us and blanketed us in total darkness, many, if not most life would struggle to survive....many inverts like roaches and spiders would not.

Its an interesting topic and maybe one day it will be proven, but till then we really just have our theories and assumptions.

But i use roaches as a "guide" because they are known to not require light, and just like most ts (yes, im sure theres exceptions), avoid light at all costs....and you cant need something if your life is all about avoiding it.

Many arachnids do live in caves, many others live underground which isnt any differrent...go to any place devoid of light, like your cave example, and you will find arachnids as long as its not too cold of course
I actually think , as I do with my Birds that in the wild they would only have the natural light , hence in captivity that should be the same .

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Just an idea i thought i would throw in here, As this si something i have done myself with a similar situation with light.

see, i live in arizona and being that my T's/inverts share a room with my reptiles who are all on schedules with this basking lights, we keep the Basking lights on during the Day and off at night during the winter, which isn't an issue. but during the summer we transition to Keep the lights on at night and off during the day, because of the Daytime Highs here. For 100+ days the temperate hangs between 105-120 degrees F ALL day from basically 8-9am until 8-9pm, and its already hard enough o keep the inside f the house under 100 degrees during the day as it is, let alone with several light systems going at the same time.

so at night in the summer we keep the lights on, (basically keeping the house/room an ambient 75-80 throughout day/night), and during the day its bright, so we also noticed that this might be an issue for all our T's as, unlike the reptiles, they don't like the light and they never come out when ever theirs light.

so what we did to help fix this is, basically, covering 50% of the tank.

we tried it at first with some of the old halloween plastic wraps your supposed to use on your walls and such, and we stuck it on Our A. Geniculate's tank(on the outside of course) but wrapped it around the back and two sides, so only the front side lets in light, and we noticed right away, even in the semi-bright light of the reptiles lights/daytime, it created enough shadow in the corners for him to come out of his hide often and sit in the shade.

if anything it seems he likes it BETTER this way as the light seems to draw the crickets and we've almost instantly noticed that once a week, usually around feeding time, he sits in the opposite corner with just a leg or two at the edge of the shade, and when it comes time to feed, he immediately strikes from the shadows and then carries the food to his hide and hides again.

we've since done this with most of our T's and its working great, now through we started getting the Reptile backing for tanks and just putting it outside facing in, and it blocks enough light usually to create plenty of shade, and in some cases, you can just turn the enclosure and it completely blocks out the light for them.

TL;DR

But reptile background sheets, cover the back/2 sides of enclosure/wrap around about 75% and then turn the enclosure at the brightest parts of the day. it'll block out like 80-90% of the light usually. ill see if i can post a pic as an example.

here you can see, this was him, the moment the cricket got within a few inches of the shadow, but the whole right side is the rest of the 10 gallon tank, and as you can see, completely dark.
for reference this picture was taken ~3pm, with the blinds open and on the right side of his tank is where we keep our reptiles with thier lights going.
so it does a good job of keeping most of the light out. and if you turn his tank around to face the wall, no light gets in at all.

not the best solution, but it works, it looks really nice, can give t's backgrounds similar to they natural habitats and not that THEY will enjoy it but I'm sure you and anybody else will find it looks nice. Plus you can even get creative with it. This guys name is Beetlejuice, so we gave him a background piece that looks like an Old run down haunted attic, and looks great with him in their haha.

Attachments

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Good idea , I'm also looking at getting a dimmer switch for the lights as well .