Are these scorpions communal?

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron

I have been considering getting new scorpions, and I was wondering if they were communal (as babies).

Rhopalurus junceus--3rd instar
Hottentotta judaicus--2nd instar
Heterometrus fulvipes--4th instar
Babycurus gigas--3rd instar (I think)
Centruroides spp. (any)
Buthacus spp.
Odonturus dentatus
Isometrus maculatus

Not all together (of course!) just as a species. Thanks.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm gonna go with no, on all of those. Keeping scorps together as babies is just asking for one to be lost during a molt. I don't know about H. fulvipes, the rest of those Buthids will definitely eat each other during molting.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Thanks. Since they would be cannibalistic now, at what instar would they "become" communal?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Only a couple of species are somewhat tolerant towards eachother in juvenile stage. In general it is better to keep juvi's separate. I would also say no to all species on your list.
In my experience Tityus serrulatus, Tityus stigmurus and Centruroides nitidus can be kept together in all stages, these are remarkably tolerant and I have never seen cannibalism in those.

If you want to breed your specimens it would not be very wise to risk cannibalism, so it is in your own advantage not to do so, unless you order lot's of specimens of a certain species, and you want to take the risk.

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Babycurus spp. were communal I thought.

I've keept my Babycurus Jacksoni's together since they were 2nd instar.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Only a couple of species are somewhat tolerant towards eachother in juvenile stage. In general it is better to keep juvi's separate. I would also say no to all species on your list.
In my experience Tityus serrulatus, Tityus stigmurus and Centruroides nitidus can be kept together in all stages, these are remarkably tolerant and I have never seen cannibalism in those.

If you want to breed your specimens it would not be very wise to risk cannibalism, so it is in your own advantage not to do so, unless you order lot's of specimens of a certain species, and you want to take the risk.
I hate to just second what another person says, but Michiel is correct. If you plan on breeding these species in the future you should keep them seperate until adulthood. Some of the species you have aren't being bred that often and loosing them to canibalism as instars would be a shame.

john

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
I hate to just second what another person says, but Michiel is correct. If you plan on breeding these species in the future you should keep them seperate until adulthood. Some of the species you have aren't being bred that often and loosing them to canibalism as instars would be a shame.

john
Yes, it would be a shame. I wan't to take care of them the best I can!:) Thanks for the help.

I have another question. At what point (instar) would they normally become communal? Thanks again!

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, it would be a shame. I wan't to take care of them the best I can!:) Thanks for the help.

I have another question. At what point (instar) would they normally become communal? Thanks again!
THey are usually communal until someone molts. THen it's a free meal. Once they are adults and not molting is when I try to introduce things. Other have had success keeping instars communally, if you miss a feeding them you could see some cannabilism.

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

For the most part, species that exhibit tolerant behavior towards one another are less likely to cannibalize after their 5th instar. If you only have a few individuals and want a colony (less than 6 or so) I would keep them separate until maturity.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
THey are usually communal until someone molts. THen it's a free meal. Once they are adults and not molting is when I try to introduce things. Other have had success keeping instars communally, if you miss a feeding them you could see some cannabilism.
Yes, I will research the scorpion's maturity rate. Just to be safe I will wait until they reach reach maturity to put them together, like you said. Thank you.:)

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

For the most part, species that exhibit tolerant behavior towards one another are less likely to cannibalize after their 5th instar. If you only have a few individuals and want a colony (less than 6 or so) I would keep them separate until maturity.
Thanks for the information. I will wait until they reach maturity.