Are there any feeder insects that can breed at 40% humidity, or otherwise dry conditions?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You're in Wyoming so yeah you wouldn't have too much of an infestation problem.

I've read some horror stories from people who did have them in the lower states from you.

A few escaped because they can climb and fly. They had an infestation and no matter what they did, even burning the building down where they were couldn't get rid of them.

One plus side you'll have roaches for life, haha.
This was back when I lived in Iowa (I no longer keep roaches of any kind), but yeah I had escapes and no infestations. They need high temperatures to breed, and climbing isn't anything that vaseline can't fix.

I don't believe the story about burning down a building because of lobster roaches, especially the part about the roaches surviving. But whatever...lobster roaches are still the best feeder insect.

They do not infest.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Can they breed at low humidity? I can imagine that the reason jbooth didn't have many deaths from the dubia roaches was because they don't actually lay eggs.
Eggs, I imagine, would be a major life stage for mortality owing to drought since they cannot drink.
E. posticus requires at least 1 inch of moist substrate. The nymphs will burrow into the sub. Keeping the soil moist is really all you need. Maybe spritz one side of the enclosure inside once in a great while.

Hold on I'll send you a link in PM.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
All the talk of feeder roaches infesting houses is highly overstated.

Last edited:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Unrelated to the original op's question but found this great post from the past on roach colonies by @Stylopidae.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unrelated to the original op's question but found this great post from the past on roach colonies by @Stylopidae.

This was back from when I lived in Iowa...I couldn't have been older than 20. I'd have written it very differently today, but the overall advice is still solid.

Wayfarin

Arachnoknight
Can tenebrionid eggs survive low humidity levels? I've heard that they can survive humidity levels as low as 45% and still thrive. Or even lower with some casualties.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Can tenebrionid eggs survive low humidity levels? I've heard that they can survive humidity levels as low as 45% and still thrive. Or even lower with some casualties.
I mean they are used as clean up
Crews so must be able to survive low humidity, Dubias are often kept dry .. I still haven’t tried them . In a culture I’d say no don’t bother.. keep humidity up.