Are springtails dangerous to feed Salticids?

AAO

Arachnosquire
I have an extremely tiny jumping spider in my possession. About 2/3 the size of a fruit fly and am having trouble finding things small enough for him to eat. I’ve heard conflicting information regarding feeding springtails to spiders and was wondering if anyone had a definitive answer?

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
I don't see how it would hurt though I would feed cricket legs and/or fruit flies. If they're too big the spider will scavenge off of them and still get nutrients.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
I have an extremely tiny jumping spider in my possession. About 2/3 the size of a fruit fly and am having trouble finding things small enough for him to eat. I’ve heard conflicting information regarding feeding springtails to spiders and was wondering if anyone had a definitive answer?
Springtails have worked for me before but in order for them to provide enough food the spider would have to be extremely small.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Jumpers will take prey larger than themselves. Those fruit flies should be fine.

AAO

Arachnosquire
I don't see how it would hurt though I would feed cricket legs and/or fruit flies. If they're too big the spider will scavenge off of them and still get nutrients.
gotcha. How long should I leave the food in before it goes ‘bad’?

AAO

Arachnosquire
Springtails have worked for me before but in order for them to provide enough food the spider would have to be extremely small.
The jumper is about the same size as a springtail haha. I’m going to give fruit flies a try too, but springtails are more easily accessible to me at the moment.

AAO

Arachnosquire
I can feed them just cricket legs? :0

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
How long should I leave the food in before it goes ‘bad’?
Until it goes bad, if it starts getting moldy and rotting after a week, leave it in a week. I'm not totally sure if it would be best to feed live or pre-killed.
I don’t have to worry about them over-feeding?
Like basin mentioned they won't eat when full
I can feed them just cricket legs?
If they're small enough, yes. They're small but still have nutrients.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I don't keep jumpers anymore. But here's a gif of a young Phidippus regius I used to own and a waxworm. You can see the waxworm is a lot larger than him yet he had no qualms about taking it out. They really have no issue taking on prey as large and larger than them.

I WOULDN'T use a cricket this many times bigger as they're more armoured but a cricket as big and a little larger will be easily taken. I also used to buy CB green bottle and blue bottle casters and let them hatch.

0DB2AEBD-6CD3-4901-9179-31D09A1F8ABA.gif