Are Spiders for me?

Should I continue with this hobby or it not for me?

• Total voters

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
If you look up Phlogius PQ113, Phlogius sarina and Phlogius rubiseta you should get some pics. PQ113 has blue legs, sarina is black and blue/grey and rubiseta takes on a reddish colour as they get bigger
Wow!! Those are pretty impressive. I was looking at them on Google images. Still, I have a cat in the house though. I could still do one at some point in the future but I'd have to double cage it and have a good lock on the adult enclosure.

Basically, since the cat is a family member, I'd take the same precautions that I would if I had a Brazilian wandering spider or death stalker scorpion instead.

I can't believe some clowns actually handle them and photograph it!!

Are these guys hardy like say baboon spiders?

I know what the caresheets and articles say & I factor that in but don't completely trust them.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Wow!! Those are pretty impressive. I was looking at them on Google images. Still, I have a cat in the house though. I could still do one at some point in the future but I'd have to double cage it and have a good lock on the adult enclosure.

Basically, since the cat is a family member, I'd take the same precautions that I would if I had a Brazilian wandering spider or death stalker scorpion instead.

I can't believe some clowns actually handle them and photograph it!!

Are these guys hardy like say baboon spiders?

I know what the caresheets and articles say & I factor that in but don't completely trust them.
They are extremely hardy, especially Selenotypus. You'd be hard pressed to find a hardier tarantula than a Selenotypus

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The paragraph 3 quote says US state. New Zealand and Egypt are not US states.
The point is that extinction and bio-diversity happens. Leave it to human arrogance to assume they are the cause of demise or the only hope of salvation for every other species on the planet.

The papers cited in that article are from legitimate sources. Reason magazine is a Libertarian online magazine. I've read it for years. No source is infallible but they usually take the time to do their due diligence.
I would be much more inclined to support a NPO that works to preserve something over a government organization that dictates a policy that tells individuals what they can do in their own home. I don't know much about Australian government. I have enough trouble with US government but it wouldn't surprise me if this "law" was put in place as a policy of some government agency rather than actually being voted on by some sort of legislator. Constituents permit these government agencies to be formed and then turn a blind eye when they start enacting "laws" that infringe upon civil liberties.
Sorry to OP for derailing this thread. Just my whacko Libertarian opinion.
Imo, Australia has legitimate reasons to enforce strict rules and regulation.
Below text quoted from quora:

Because as much as Australia's flora and fauna love to cut, burn, sting, bite, maul, dehydrate and generally scare its human inhabitants - at the end of the day we love our surroundings and like to conserve them as much as is practical.

http://resources3.news.com.au/im...

Our ecosystem can be deadly. But it is also beautiful and delicate and can easily be thrown out of balance with the unwanted introduction of plant, animal and bacterial species.

Australia also has a massive agriculture and breeding industry such as for cattle and horses. An outbreak of disease would severely cripple our export economy.

The prime example of upsetting the ecosystem is the Cane Toad, an invasive species introduced last century for the purpose of eating Cane Beetles (bugs that ruin sugar cane crop).

Instead, the toads just ate other insects and have bred so fast they are now present on the West coast of Australia - after having been introduced in North Queensland.

The spread of cane toads in Australia from 1940 to 1980 in five year intervals.

I'm sure an ecologist or a biologist could explain this in much more detail than me, and probably correct me on a few points too, but here's my understanding...

Since arriving in Australia, however, Europeans seem to have been very good at introducing species to the continent, either intentionally or by mistake, which are hugely destructive to native Australian flora and fauna.

Some examples include:

• Sheep, introduced for sheep farming (meat and wool), which have taken a huge toll on native plant life.
  • Camels, because someone in the 19th century had the bright idea of using them to transport things through the desert (works in Arabia, right?!). There are now over a million Australian feral camels roaming around in the desert, and their population is growing exponentially. Again, they take a toll on native plant life, and also critical infrastructure like pipelines and fences.
  • Foxes, introduced in the 1840s and 1850s so rich people could hunt them. I'm not joking. They're a huge threat to a lot of native fauna.
  • Rabbits, brought over to be farmed as food right from the very start of British colonisation (right back to the First Fleet), which obviously escaped and started breeding like, um... rabbits. And of course eating everything too. Some of the longest fences in the world are now used to keep them out of places like Western Australia, which has a huge wheat crop.
  • Cane Toads, which were introduced in the 1930s to try and control a beetle which is native to Australia but which was destroying something else that, ironically, was introduced by Europeans - sugar cane. The toads themselves are now seen as a huge threat to native flora and fauna in the tropical north.

Nahsti

Arachnopeon
So is there no license block on getting a Australian Tarantula in Australia?

And does anyone know where I can purchase a Bird Eating Spider that is respectfully bred or responsibly captured/obtain I'm not one to buy a pet off Gumtree or something like that

Last edited by a moderator:

Mpmackenna

ArachnoNerd
The prime example of upsetting the ecosystem is the Cane Toad, an invasive species introduced last century for the purpose of eating Cane Beetles
Who introduced this species to Australia, and why?

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Who introduced this species to Australia, and why?
It was in my post, but for good measure I'll post it again:
  • Cane Toads, which were introduced in the 1930s to try and control a beetle which is native to Australia but which was destroying something else that, ironically, was introduced by Europeans - sugar cane. The toads themselves are now seen as a huge threat to native flora and fauna in the tropicalnorth.
;)

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
So is there no license block on getting a Australian Tarantula in Australia?

And does anyone know where I can purchase a Bird Eating Spider that is respectfully bred or responsibly captured/obtain I'm not one to buy a pet off Gumtree or something like that
Right now you can keep any invertebrate without a license here.

As for a bird eating tarantula, if you mean Theraphosa sp you can get those here, but you can get Selenotypus and Phlogius sp captive bred on Facebook

Nahsti

Arachnopeon
@Dennis Nedry Yeah I'm still learning and only seen the whole "Australian Tarantula's also known as Bird-Eating Spiders or Barking Spiders" no break down on how many species their are hence why I'm here doing research so out of the Australian ones I can make a choice if it's a suitable match for me and if I can reach it's appropriate needs and to maintain myself as responsible keeper to any animal kept in my care, I prefer to get my knowledge from hands on and talking with people, I've watched videos and read things on Australian Tarantula's and they all have different answers for how long they live.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
As for a bird eating tarantula, if you mean Theraphosa sp you can get those here k
Theraphosa species are available in Australia? Theraphosa blondi/stirmi and apophysis? Or is there a Theraphosa species that's native to Australia?

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
To the best of my knowledge, no new world type of tarantula with urticating hairs lives in our has been introduced into Australia.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
That's what I thought as well...maybe they have another genus called Theraphosa as well? @Dennis Nedry ?
To the best of my knowledge, no new world type of tarantula with urticating hairs lives in our has been introduced into Australia.
Theraphosa species are available in Australia? Theraphosa blondi/stirmi and apophysis? Or is there a Theraphosa species that's native to Australia?
Can't get those here is what I meant to say. To my knowledge you can't name two genera the same thing

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
Hello Lads and Ladies,

Just a quick PSA; I have ODDCD and this does convert into the way I speak to people so I may have written things below that are mispelt or started going from one subject or another please take this into consideration as you may think that I'm quite young or something but it's just a bit of dyslexia

My name is Roy and I'm the Central Coast of Australia in NSW, and I've been thinking about getting an eight legged family member for quite some time and thought rather then googling everything and assuming I can learn everything and get to it I'd rather put my head in the door and say hi and drop a few questions and see if I should rather then if I could take on one of these jobs. :)

So as I said I would love to have a little friend of my own but as an animal lover and preserver I'd like to make sure I can have one that fits in with my requirements for what I'm looking for so it can have it's needs met so I'll make a little list to help figure out if this is for me or if it's best if I do not.

Temperature: I live on the coast so when it's cold, it's pretty cold especially in the morning and when it's hot it's still pretty cool in my place, I don't have an air con only a small heater I use some times so I'm not sure how much this will effect how much it will want to be active. I prefer it like this so I don't find myself relying on these things as I'm up early to run the beach during the early hours.

Size and Feeding: I love having big pets, big fish, big dogs etc so bigger is better especially if it comes to live feeding seeing a big fur ball ambushing a cricket/cockroach is a satisfying thing to watch, I have no problem with feeding from small crawlers to mice size bites for snakes etc and I love a good show

Flaunt It: Now this is one that the more knowledge keepers might find a bit ignorant, I'd like to have a spider that doesn't hide a lot and I understand like 100% of spiders hide away it's how they work, so think of it as a more flexible question, does it have to burrow down or is a half circle bark piece enough or would it prefer a hollow log etc I know it's kind of a messy question but as I said I'm trying to figure it all out so it's a perfect synergy without inflicting negatives onto a spider that will just stress it out.

Webs and Climbing: As I said bigger is better and a less web using spider would be grand especially one that cannot climb glass, I was thinking about tarantula's but I need to figure everything out before I set my hand down on a specific spider and it ends in a bad relationship.

Water smart and Plants: I'd like to have a living enclosure that I can care for, living plants and a water system that maybe I could put small fish in and I mean smaller then the spider don't want them making a snake but fish are not a must but a drowning spider is a no go.

Hand Handling: I have no interest in handing or having anyone handle my spider I just want to make it a home where it can live out it's days while I adore it :)

Genders: Is there a difference in the criteria between genders.

As a new spider keeper to be I understand that maybe there is nothing to fit my criteria, I use to own Black Rock Scorpions but I could never really show anyone them without pulling there rocks up with a black light and that adds stress they do not need this is something I want to avoid at all costs the pet is the priority. I was thinking of going with a scorpion again, maybe something as big as a tarantula or something if the spider side isn't going to work out for me.

Thank you for reading this and understanding my complete lack of knowledge on the subject as I'm just getting into it and I'm ready to learn.
Just thought I would add that learning about tarantulas is in itself a great experience. They are fascinating animals. I don't own any anymore, but I still love them and there is always more to learn. In fact, the more I learn, the more I find there is to learn. I wish you a happy experience with tarantulas, whatever you decide upon. :)

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
P rubiseta is certainly a striking tarantula by any standard. Starting with a sling between 1 to 2 inches will let you grow with the spider and learn it's traits leading to success. This approach works with almost any tarantula. With one exception, all the tarantulas I've purchased have been slings &I haven't had any escapes, bites or any other problems.