Are all "yellow leg" centipedes giant centipedes?

malaise

Arachnopeon
My local shop has just a "yellow leg" for $70 and I'm not sure what classification that means. Searches yielded several different results, I bought an 8x8x12 inch habitat (12" tall) but I'm concerned about this being too small in the long run (right now it's just a little guy)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I don’t know of any small centipede that has yellow legs. Myra pod section. Try. There

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Most giant centipeded are exported from Vietnam or China right now.

the most common variety is Scolopendra dehaani which has several varieties depending on location that may or may not be different species but have not been seperated yet.

The most common variety is the yellow legged one.

like this one:

but there are also other colour forms or other species around, those are usually more expensive than the yellow legged one. That said i have no idea what said seller is offering so i cant give you an informed answer whether or not it is Scolopendra dehaani, Scolopendra subspinipes, or anything else really. Could be a gummy centipede for all i know.

The south american giants are more bulky and get larger than the asian ones and i assume they are more expensive as well, though i can only speak for european prices.

malaise

Arachnopeon
So I did learn today it is a scolopendra dehaani in my local shop. Would an 8x8x12 container be reasonable or do I need to get an upgrade before getting the centipede?

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
only if it is incredibly tight closing, with a proper seal, it needs to be strong enough that it can't push it open and they are very strong. There also can't be any gaps.

Ventilation needs to be good but no aluminium mesh as they can chew through it.

i personally use a 30cm x 20cm x 20cm (LxWxH) airtight box fitted with a fine 0,2mm stainless steel gaze for ventilation, i cannot stress this enough if you plan on getting into Scolopendra, it needs to be 100% secure. The hight is usually chosen to give the scolopendra no chance to use its strength to wedge the lid open, but if the lid is secure the hight is not as important, 8"x8" is a bit small for floor space but can work depending on the size.

malaise

Arachnopeon
20240523_174800.jpg

I have a lid with magnetic fasteners that slides in and out, with my hand it only takes a slight amount of force to come loose but there are lips on the inside preventing direct access to corners and I intend on facing the lid towards the wall so it can't come out anyway. It's my understanding that they need a lot of ventilation so moisture can be kept in check so this habitat does have the holes in the side and I'm not sure whether I should be worrying about that

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
side ventilation is nice, holes are nice and small too, just make sure it really cant open the lid, looks fine though

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
side ventilation is nice, holes are nice and small too, just make sure it really cant open the lid, looks fine though
I was confused by question I thought he mean do any non-giant centipedes have yellow legs

NYAN

Arachnoking
S. dehaani can be considered a giant centipede, yes. The term basically is a blanket descriptor to any large centipede.

Your enclosure will be too small eventually. These have the ability to reach 6-8 inches body length. Living in a small enclosure will not really harm the centipede, but why not provide it more space if you’re able to? Something double the width and length would be fine. Also, keep in mind that unless you are certain that the lid is not penetrable, you should aim to keep the height out of reach for the centipede.

tarantulastuff

Arachnopeon
Some S. dehaani variants are considered the largest-2nd largest species in Asia. The largest being white beard. And these beasts can get to 25 cm long(10in) so the enclosure will definitely eventually be too small.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Some S. dehaani variants are considered the largest-2nd largest species in Asia. The largest being white beard. And these beasts can get to 25 cm long(10in) so the enclosure will definitely eventually be too small.
Wow that’s within a few inches of the largest pede.