Arboreal turning burrower?

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Allright I am not an expert, nor I am pretending to be one, so I have this question. Is this normal that arboreal ( in this case P. cambridgei) digs herself a very deep burrow with two exits? Will it make web on the wood, flowers and stuff to mek a web hideout orshe will keep the burrow when she gets bigger and older?

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
I have two 1" slings of this species and both of them do this. I assume its sling behavior.

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That genus has a tendancy to do that. I have a subadult pen-ultimate irminia that has been in a burrow since he was like .75".

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have two adult P irminia and one P cambridgei. The irminia are more on the burrowing side, but all three show arborial AND burrowing behavior.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The term arboreal can be misleading in some circumstances. For instance P. cambridgei isn't honestly what I would call a 'true' arboreal, like for instance, an Avicularia species would be. Their natural habitat is at the bases of trees, or in knot hole but lower down on the tree, or on cliff faces. They don't play among the branches in tube webs. At least from what I have read. They make dirt curtains habitually, so they obviously play in the dirt and it is only a short step away to include an underground escape route. :)

Our P. cambridgei burrowed as a sling, and she always had 3 ways out of her hide; up at the top of her dirt curtain, or one of two entrances/ exits to/ from an underground burrow. Now as a juvie, she sticks to strictly dirt curtains and leaf cover for her hide now. She likes to incorporate the leaves and stump into her web to create a hide all the way around the base of the stump.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh so I see that I am not the only one with these experience. Well mine made tons of web when it was in a glass jar with stick to atach it to. Since I moved her into her final enclosure(she's about 3.2 inches now) and dug herself a burrow with two exits. I can observe her sometimes when she comes out at night, when she is doing excavating. She brings lot of substrate with her pedipalps half a way out of the burrow, than she throws that away and goes back in.{D I hope that she will at least be more outside when larger though. But I think I made her too perfect enclosure and that she really enjoys it and I am happy that she likes it.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Oh so I see that I am not the only one with these experience. Well mine made tons of web when it was in a glass jar with stick to atach it to. Since I moved her into her final enclosure(she's about 3.2 inches now) and dug herself a burrow with two exits. I can observe her sometimes when she comes out at night, when she is doing excavating. She brings lot of substrate with her pedipalps half a way out of the burrow, than she throws that away and goes back in.{D I hope that she will at least be more outside when larger though. But I think I made her too perfect enclosure and that she really enjoys it and I am happy that she likes it.
I havent seen mine since monday, I bought it sunday:wall:

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just prepare yourself a flashlight and look for it at night, they usually pop out after 10 or 11 pm. :)

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Just prepare yourself a flashlight and look for it at night, they usually pop out after 10 or 11 pm. :)
I goo to sleep at midnite and sometimes wake up late in the morning and still nothing

TarantulaTeen

Arachnopeon
kind of about the topic

Hello its me Chance (TarantulaTeen) about the topic.:} my obt like that but a little different because she used to burrower then aboreal and now a semi aboreal burrower.:?:D i think its what the tarantulas feel like doing but most do the same thing and others do their own thing. :rolleyes:

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Chance, your name shows up next to your posts, we know it's you. Lol,

All my little P. cams have seemed to decide they want to be terrestrial. Just a sling thing, I suppose.

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello its me Chance (TarantulaTeen) about the topic.:} my obt like that but a little different because she used to burrower then aboreal and now a semi aboreal burrower.:?:D i think its what the tarantulas feel like doing but most do the same thing and others do their own thing. :rolleyes:
I've noticed that with some aboreal species i've had to

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is pretty normal behavior for a P. murinus. They are considered 'semi' arboreal, which basically that means they do a little of both arboreal and terrestrial. :)

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It s so interesting and exciting with my little P. cambridgei. One day she closes one of the exits, a day or two later she opens it again. :D But now I am rarly see her, she is probably preparing for a molt since she doesen't come out at the night for 2 days allready. :)

SandKing

Arachnosquire
my P. cambridgei does the same.its sucks coz i like them in an arboreal setup