Arboreal Substrate

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have been using a mixture of fir and sphagnum peat moss, and after researching this at arachnoboards, it appears fir is toxic to tarantulas. (It's also not the easiest to see cricket remains on). I haven't seen my H. maculata on the substrate at all, and at night she's very active, roaming the sides, top and cork bark back. I needed to perform some maintenance anyway (bug juice slung all over the place), so I removed the fir mixture. What substrate do you recommend for an arboreal set up?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use a few inches of peat moss and some chunks of spagnum moss to spruce up the tank. But peat alone will work just fine too.
I am testing a tank now where there is just a 1/2" of water at the bottem of the tank, no substrate, and things glued to the top that the T can climb on and make a web home in.

pink'n'curly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am testing a tank now where there is just a 1/2" of water at the bottem of the tank, no substrate, and things glued to the top that the T can climb on and make a web home in.
wow! thats a cool but scary idea...please keep us posted on whether that works? that could work for my avic avic.
:clap:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
wow! thats a cool but scary idea...please keep us posted on whether that works? that could work for my avic avic.
:clap:
Why is that scary? I have never seen a T drown before. So with a juvi I think im ok. I hope :D
I figure the tank will maintain its own humidity easier and longer. So I can do things like go on vacation. :cool:

pink'n'curly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i guess your right...but i would worry about complications, like for example with molting, would it be a danger to the T lying on his back in the water? I know an Arboreal should molt in this web but what if! eeeek!....but i love the idea so if it works send me some pics of your T with its swimsuit on! {D