Arboreal Sling Housing

DcubeD

Arachnopeon
Simple Arboreal setup for slings. Allows me to flip open the bottom, while the slings are nestled at the top of the home, to add water or a dead snack. Dollar store items: 5" flip top plastic spice bottle, child's plastic cup, synthetic leaves and stick. Cut/glue/drill vent holes and add coconut fibre substrate and a thimble-sized watering dish (small plastic paint pots you can buy from a craft or art store). I have two A. versicolor and two P. irminia slings in mine.
5in Spice bottle w flip cap.JPG Flip cap cut out.JPG Plastic cup cut to size flip cap hole.JPG Ensure snug fit.JPG Insert and hot glue stick and fake leaf.JPG Hot glue base then fill base with substrate.JPG A versicolor sling in its hammock.JPG P irminia sling retrieves meal worm from bottom.JPG

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Clever idea! I would put in more holes for the Avics. At least 3 or 4 vertically arranged at the 12, 6, 3 and 9 position of a clock.

DcubeD

Arachnopeon
Clever idea! I would put in more holes for the Avics. At least 3 or 4 vertically arranged at the 12, 6, 3 and 9 position of a clock.
Thanks for your input. I'll try not to disturb them too much. The irminia are much more skittish than the versicolor and I wouldn't want to freak them out with the drill!!

Why do the A. v's need more air flow? Wouldn't they be getting enough ventilation opening up the bottom twice a week (once to add drops of water, once to lay down dead meal worms)?
I've seen some alluding to this "extra air" requirement, but no explanations. Thanks.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for your input. I'll try not to disturb them too much. The irminia are much more skittish than the versicolor and I wouldn't want to freak them out with the drill!!

Why do the A. v's need more air flow? Wouldn't they be getting enough ventilation opening up the bottom twice a week (once to add drops of water, once to lay down dead meal worms)?
I've seen some alluding to this "extra air" requirement, but no explanations. Thanks.
I don't suggest you drill w/the Ts in there hah, take them out first, that's the smart way to do things here. Drilling with a T inside is a recipe for injury or death.

It's highly unlikely, ie I can't guarantee, they will get enough air flow. I've seen Avics die with more airflow.

For unknown reasons, ie not demonstrated scientifically but observed by MANY keepers over decades, they require a certain level of air exchange.

People read care sheets (TRASH) and see "rainforest, need high humidity", and keep them too moist. Moist substrate with too little air exchange becomes stagnant, it smells bad too. This stagnant air kills them. The 2 main hobby groups have worked through this different.

They Avics will die even if they are adults or slings re stagnant air. I've been to rainforests, sure it's super humid, but at no time does the air smell stagnant.

The USA hobbyists, like myself, have solved that by keeping their Avics mostly dry or dry substrate, not overly concerned with humidity levels, and containers with a lot of ventilation. Mind you, I always have a water bowl in w/my Avics.

Europeans have done this with more or less glass "cubes" ventilated at bottom front and top (this is what the German ExoTerra's are modeled after).

Last edited:

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Nice twist on inverted enclosures!
What are the dimensions of those?
I make something similar by recycling 40 oz. peanut butter containers.

DcubeD

Arachnopeon
Nice twist on inverted enclosures!
What are the dimensions of those?
I make something similar by recycling 40 oz. peanut butter containers.
Thanks. The Dollar Store plastic flip-top "spice" containers are about 5" high and about 1.75 to 2" diameter. The cheap-o store also has clear plastic "spaghetti noodle" storage containers, that are about 3x4"x12" high that I'm planning on re-purposing when the arboreal slings get bigger.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Thanks. The Dollar Store plastic flip-top "spice" containers are about 5" high and about 1.75 to 2" diameter. The cheap-o store also has clear plastic "spaghetti noodle" storage containers, that are about 3x4"x12" high that I'm planning on re-purposing when the arboreal slings get bigger.
That's cool!!
I like when others come up with new ideas on T keeping.
I start my arboreal slings in the posted photo (P. reduncus). 4" diameter by 6" tall, gives plenty of space for 'em to move about. As of now 10 have tenants and all doing well. Good thing my pit bulls like pnut butter treats, else I would need to purchase stater homes. Lol!!

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's cool!!
I like when others come up with new ideas on T keeping.
I start my arboreal slings in the posted photo (P. reduncus). 4" diameter by 6" tall, gives plenty of space for 'em to move about. As of now 10 have tenants and all doing well. Good thing my pit bulls like pnut butter treats, else I would need to purchase stater homes. Lol!!
Not building mini acrylic containers,, ya slacker! ;)