Arana Polita - Chicken Spider Diary

LegionT

Arachnopeon
Hi Abraxas.Sorry to hear about the one sac that turned out bad. :(

If I can ask.At what temperature and humidity are you keeping these two females that dropped the eggsac's for you?

There's a woman here in South Africa who has 2x female Chicken Spider's and 1x male.I sure would like to provide her with any important info that she might need if the time comes for her to start breeding these magnificent Beasts.She is the only person in S.A. who has this species.So her success in breeding them successfully,is of great importance to hobbyist's like me who would like to add a few of these T's to my collection.

Any info you can provide would greatly be appreciated.

Thanx. :)

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The two eggs did not make it (they turned black within a day), but the other sac is still doing well.

I keep them at about an average of 77'F and a humidity of 85-90%.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
.... i wanna take pictures! :p

im happy to hear they are doing well :)

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's a random photo of inside one of the burrows in the tank. This is the best shot I could get with my camera as there is too much dirt, plants and driftwood in the way. The burrow used to be filled with more dirt creating a more confined space, but they pushed quite a bit of it out over time.

There were 4-5 in this burrow and as you can see a molt of one at the very back. Some proof that they molt amongst their siblings and other relatives even at the 5-6'' size.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
abrax you need night camera set up in the enclosure ...like 6 of them. and make a mini series out of it. Ill do the editing. D: lol

Nerfaphytum

Arachnopeon
WOW!!!! :O This is amazing!!! I especially like the bio integration of co-existing inhabitants in such a large, marvelous display. Frankly, It's very obvious to me that Abrax is doing very ground breaking work in many different aspects here. You can try to avert that fact with any type skeptical critisim, accusations and other mindless dribble all you want, but the fact remains, this fellow has spent alot of personal time, research, money and effort into his idea. Confirmed CS spider or not. I find it inconceivable one would knowingly devote such intricacies into false pretenses, at least, and still be sane enough to operate a PC. Please Keep up the great work Abrax!

Last edited:

Simple Man

Arachnopeon
Read and enjoyed :) Cool thread and very interesting regardless of the semantics. I wish you the best of future luck!

Regards,

B

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The two eggs did not make it (they turned black within a day), but the other sac is still doing well.

I keep them at about an average of 77'F and a humidity of 85-90%.
It's been a month and a half since this post. Any news?

brotony101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have thoroughly enjoyed the information of this thread and the mature tone of response from the OP. I am curious for an update. What is happening with your spiders and the sac?

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
WOw that is impressive... I really wish I could own this T :cry: its not in the hobby.. communal would be beastly
too risky to due communal regalis... im low on cash

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She held the sac for 3 months. This is the usual period for Pamphobeteus spp.. I thought it would hatch any day and one day she discarded it. So I opened it only to find a black, molded mush. She had been nursing a bad sac.

I'm waiting for them to molt again (should be in the next few weeks) and then I have 7 MM males to breed the females with. I'm moving the females to another enclosure with increased ventilation to help avoid mold propagation. Perhaps this was the bane of the last two sacs since they were in highly humid conditions with lower ventilation.

brotony101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Too bad!!! That would have made me sick to find the the project spoiled..but you will figure this out. Ventilation seems to be the key of success with any arachnids, regardless of the higher levels of humidity some require. Keep up the faith, man.

D3N2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She held the sac for 3 months. This is the usual period for Pamphobeteus spp.. I thought it would hatch any day and one day she discarded it. So I opened it only to find a black, molded mush. She had been nursing a bad sac.

I'm waiting for them to molt again (should be in the next few weeks) and then I have 7 MM males to breed the females with. I'm moving the females to another enclosure with increased ventilation to help avoid mold propagation. Perhaps this was the bane of the last two sacs since they were in highly humid conditions with lower ventilation.
Just read the entire thread. Whew! It was very very interesting overall. The most amazing part was seeing pictures of various sizes of tarantulas living communally! Reminded me of the giant spider colony in the forest of the Harry Potter books.. hahaha..

Anyway, sorry for your losses. I wish you better luck with your matings with the 7 MM's!

By the way, I'm curious about the amount of eggs the females produced. I know you said the second egg-sac was just mush, but for the first one? Were you able to get a ballpark figure of how many eggs there were?

A Simple Thief

Arachnopeon
This is the coolest project I have ever read about involving large brown hairy spiders. And it's just so interesting too. It's too bad about the sacs though. I hope that the next time you have sacs it will turn out better.

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
Bump for an update? I read the ENTIRE thread... But I was not able to watch the video because I'm not signed up. I think I need the personal password? :( very intEresting for my noobiness. This provokes me to be a biologist/animal something. :D