Arachnophobia!

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So today i brought 2 of my docile rosies to school, and did lessons on arachnophobia for all the psychology classes. I went really really really well. It went better then i thought, the people were really interested, some peopl freaked and had to leave the room, only 2 though, out of the 60 some people i gave the lesson too. They asked alot of questions, about everything, it was really great, then i asked if anyone was even slightly interested in holding one of the rosies, to my suprise, over 30 people held my rosies today, I made them sit on a blanket i set out on the floor and keep their hand against the blanket on the floor, to prevent any accidents, i took alot of pre-causions and told them alot about tarantulas and it just went really well, i'm doing it again next year when the pyschology classes get to the Phobia chaper again, so it should be fun! I also noticed the precent of girls willing to hold the tarantula was probably about 60% and 40% were males, that was a surprise, but the girls who were really scared, actually cryed and had to leave... so it was weird. all in all it was a great day.
-Mike

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's cool

I remember doing a presentation to my AP bio class
It wen great also alot of people were scared at first but just give em some nice pics and some comedy and they get really interested at the end so interested that they ask questions and its exiting. well thats cool how it went with you keep up the good work and have a nice day
geo

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
=D YAY MIKE!!!!=D

I LOVE doing presentations. I'm SO GLAD it went well for you!!

Terri

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, I work in a library (acquisitions) and recently I contributed an article about my [rapidly] growing collection of Ts and scorps to our in-house newsletter.... I was met with complete and utter disgust just about everywhere I turned, so I took the situation a step further and brought my A. avic and some baby Asian Forest scorps of about 3 weeks.

People crowded my office all day long in curious wonderment. Now, peeps around here don't think it's that bad, although they still think I'm a little too intense for the library environment - I meticulously decorated my office hundreds of posters and action figures from video games and I constantly insist on broadening our life science materials focusing on invertebrates in the building.

That, and I like cheese.

LCDXX

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
u think u can give me ur paper to talk to my class or can i read it also i wouldn't use it for credit

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Redips--

Check your PMs...

As for my article, I'm hesitant to post it directly to this forum for fear that it will be ripped to shreds by other enthusiasts who are more knowledgeable about tarantulas. I merely wrote the article to satiate the wreckless judgement of my peers and in the process I included (thanks to hindsight and further study) false or incomplete information.

If anyone else is desperate or otherwise curious to read it, PM me and I'll make sure you get it.

LCDXX

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
great job Mike...great idea with the T's safety and the towel/hand thought.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm glad your presentation went well, it's important for people to understand tarantulas. They get a bad rap from movies and TV, they think they are all dangerous. How many people asked if they bite and if a bite can kill you?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh, who cares if people rip it to shreds, LCD :)

if they're smart, they'll be able to tell you what the 'real-deal' is in a mature way and not just tear you to pieces, right?

now,i don't where you'd post it on this site, but if you can, i'd say do it... if not, then PM that bad boy around!

and congrats mike. Glad it went well and glad to see you passing on the T-torch to some new people!!!! next time bring an avic :) show some colour off, man! =D

peace
dave

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey, Thanks everyone.
Spidertwin- A few people asked if they were fatal, and i cleared that all up, and i let them know that no one was has ever died in "recorded" history from a tarantula bite. So it calmed them down, and i told them how a rosies bite could be compared to a bee sting, only with fangs! haha. I also told them some T's have stronger venom, but not the ones i brought, so they were happy to know that.

Dave- Well i'm doing it again next year, and i will definatly have a bigger selection of what to bring, my GBB will definatly be big enough to bring in then, and show off his awesome color! He's only about an 1" now so i didn't bother bring him, plus, he's all hidden in web. slightly visable, not for a whole class of people.

Alot of people thought they were "cute" haha it was pretty cool hearing some of the girls go, awwwwwwww. haha it was a great day, i can't wait until next year! :) Maybe i can do some other presentations somewhere. anyway thanks everyone!
-Mike

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
MIKE, hon.... check with your local elementary schools... they LOVE tarantula presentations!:D

Spiderwebz

Arachnopeon
Wow, my best friend is an arachnophobic. It makes me sad sometimes since I love spiders so much.:)