Arachnophobe in the house...

imjim

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nah - he's what my dearly departed dad would have called A sissy boy, and I love him just the way he is :) (not sissy in that he doesn't like girls - just in the fact that he doesn't hunt or watch football! :) )
What about NASCAR?

reclusa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Arachnophobia is hard to overcome, and shouldn't be forced. Slowly introduce him to the spiders and tarantulas. He may never fully over come his fear, but may still find an appreciation for them.

John

cabal

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My dad has Arachnophobia BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! When I was a kid NO way in HELL was I ever going to get a T in his house. I am married have my own house and 16 T's in my spare bedroom and I rarley ever see him a my house :D.

When I was a kid I remember him screaming my name to come and kill a black widow for him {D. Just to give you an idea how big my dad is 6'4" 240. It still brings a smile to my face just thinking about it today.

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
haha thats great my dad is 6'2 240 i know all about it , my mom on the other hand is deathly afraid of spiders (she cant even look at pictures without having a panic attack ) but when my parents moved (to tennesee ) my arachnoholic buddy took it upon himself to give me my first t (i was apprehensive but figured time to get over my fear , i admit i was definately an arachnophobe myself ) and just watching and tending to her made me appreciate them and well i got bit and now im all about the little buggers haha ( do admit though i think im single due to the fact of having them and scorpions haha ) some people just need time to watch and ponder , others never get over it . although if youd like a valid argument to use on your sonjust ask him , whats the worse thing my ts can do to you ? it will shortly be followed by , bite me haha at which point you can just say ....this is true my gentle giant but how do you presume it can do that through its cage and a room thats closed with a door halfway across the house haha :D

cabal

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh it gets better my sister also has Arachnophobia as bad as my dad. When she comes over with my 5 year old niece she runs right to my spare bedroom and to look at my T's. Then she runs back and grabs her mommy's hand (my sister) and try's to drag her in to show her them and ask her to get her one {D . The hole time I am laughing at her. My niece just loves all of my T's and asks me how they are doing when I talk to her and how big they are and if they are sleeping. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! So for christmas I got her that radio controled T that National National Geographic put out. I think it's a B. smithi. My sister flipped, so we spent the rest of the day hidding it in places she would find it and listen to her scream like a little girl. What can I say she's my younger sister and I am the older brother :D

Sylvi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Hubby is petrified of all spiders. He freaked when I got my first - a curly hair sling and of course many others have followed. They are kept in a secluded corner and he can see they are secure and that I don't want to loose any of them. He has got braver, and will peer from a distance if Julie and I are rehousing - he thinks it funny that Julie who has 20ish of her own T's jumps higher than him if they skitter lol. But he finds the moulted skins scarier for some reason. Ju and I were away on holiday and the puppy got into the box where we keep the molts, there were molts scattered all over the house and he had to clear them up.

Andrew273

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm generally a "sissy boy," but not many people can call me that with 4 tarantulas, 5 scorpions, 2 millipedes, and about 100 cockroaches. I definatly prefer to write than play sports, watch nascar, etc. What really got me into my tarantulas is when I realized how much I could decorate their tanks. Try to get him to help you decorate a new tank, that was the funnest part for me until I held my Rosea. He's 14 now so maybe he'll start to realize how scary things aren't as bad as they seem. Also ask him if he wants to pick out what kind of T to put in there after it's set up. If he says no let him know that he can decide later but it's not a big deal if he doesn't. Try to show him some fun aspects of the hobby that don't actually involve the T itself. Your son sounds alot like me at that age.