Aquatics

bigjej

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anyone here keep them ? Any success in breeding? What setups do you use? I tried my hand last year, and most died (probably from my mistakes) except one renatra that is alive still (despite my neglecting it for a couple months thinking it was dead, yet too lazy to throw it out)! I'd like to give them another try before the weather gets too cold for shipping. What about wild collecting? Anyone here from Northern Illinois collect them locally?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've kept aquatics on and off. Tends to be a lot of hassle, especially with the predators since you have to keep them separate, so it has been a while since the last attempt. If you have any ponds near you, you should still be able to find a few things. I'm from central Illinois and I've still been seeing things when I'm out and about.

bigjej

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I haven't done any collecting yet. Do you recommend just using a dipnet in local ponds, or is there more of a method?

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd love to do some aquatics but as pannaking says its kind of a hassle. Besides If I ever did do a nice setup with multiple connected tanks I'd probably fill them with crabs and shrimp first. As far as collecting yeah, just gets a large net with a stout handle and scoop it through the mud and the muck along the shoreline.

What part of Northern Illinois? I'm just over the border in SE Wisconsin.