Aquatic Snails - Who Else Keeps/Breeds?

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just wondering if we have any other aquatic snail enthusiasts on this board. I keep P. bridgesii, A. spixis, V. malleatus, Planorbid ramshorns, and freshwater Nerites. I've just started actively breeding bridgs and boy is it an adventure! I've got clutches all over the place, and the newborn malleatus are just plain adorable. I'm hoping to order some better color morphs (I presently have blue, gold, ivory, burgundy, traditional, and a purple) and expand my breeding, but I'll need a larger grow-out first as these guys produce about as much waste as a goldfish (ok, slight exaggeration). So, any other snail keepers? What species do you keep, and do you breed?

sidguppy

Arachnopeon
I only keep a landsnail as 'pet'; Achatina fulica. these breed like anything and eat loads.

although in most of my fishtanks Planorbis spp, Melanoides tuberculata and small Physa roam around.

I got a few P bridgesii and the last few true Ampullaria's, but I'm getting rid of em, they eat too much aquatic plants and too few algae.
the small aquatics breed like rabbits and from time to time I toss in a load in the big Tanganyika tank. several fish in there feed on snails.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Agreed about P. bridgesii being a lousy algae eater. Nerites do a better job, don't breed in freshwater, and stay small - thus not producing the MASSIVE waste apple snails do. Really, apple snails are scavengers; they are better for cleaning up leftover food, waste, dying plants, and dead animals - though hopefully your average hobbyist's fish tank doesn't have too many dead animals in it, heh.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i used to keep the giant ramshorns,and can they multiply:eek: also had the mystery snails,apples etc. they were fun to keep:clap:

Kevin_Davies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep Pila virens, which are very similar to Pomacea bridgesii, I dont keep any other aquatic snails at the moment, I have lots of different species of Land Snails though.