Aquatic invert section interest thread

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone,

I recently suggested the idea of an aquatic invert section to @Arachnopets

To help encourage its creation, I wanted to gauge community interest in such a section. As a point of clarification, this section would be about crabs (hermit, moon/halloween, vampire, etc), crayfish, aquarium snails, dwarf shrimp, triops, and crayfish, as well as more obscure pets like prawns, pond insects ("toe biter", water beetles), and clams. Many people, such as @Smotzer, have shown off their aquatic inverts on the forum before, so there is a definite group of people who apply. Additionally, this section could draw in more members from the aquarium hobby to join arachnoboards and grow our community.

You may be wondering, "Why make a separate section? Don't we already have the insects, other inverts & arthropods section?" This is true, but aquatic inverts are so vastly different in terms of care from all other inverts in the section. They need filters, water parameters, and are a new frontier for invert keeping. A request for pH levels help in the insect & etc section might get buried by posts about isopods, roaches, and mantises and ultimately go unanswered. It's time to give a growing part of the community a dedicated space to call their own.

If you're interested or want to show your support, here is the place to do it! Until it is created, you can also use this thread to talk about and share info on aquatic inverts :)

gzophia

Arachnoknight
Yes, I completely support this idea! I actually got started with inverts thanks to the aquatics sector-- I kept snails, crayfish, and shrimp. Cool little buggers!

A special section for these animals would be great.

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Yes, I completely support this idea! I actually got started with inverts thanks to the aquatics sector-- I kept snails, crayfish, and shrimp. Cool little buggers!

A special section for these animals would be great.
Awesome, thanks for the support!

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I support the idea! I have at least nine aquaria devoted to aquatic invertebrates!

gzophia

Arachnoknight
Wow, I'm honored! Now I can say the idea is backed by a legend, lol
Indeed! Mr. Peter Clausen, another legend himself, is also very enthusiastic about aquatic inverts (especially insects); he isn't active on AB anymore but I'm sure he'd agree too.

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
While they aren’t an area of interest atm for me, I wouldn’t mind as I just like learning about new stuff lol. Plus the adhd and Asperger’s in me will probably hyper fixate on them at some point anyways lol.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Hello everyone,

I recently suggested the idea of an aquatic invert section to @Arachnopets

To help encourage its creation, I wanted to gauge community interest in such a section. As a point of clarification, this section would be about crabs (hermit, moon/halloween, vampire, etc), crayfish, aquarium snails, dwarf shrimp, triops, and crayfish, as well as more obscure pets like prawns, pond insects ("toe biter", water beetles), and clams. Many people, such as @Smotzer, have shown off their aquatic inverts on the forum before, so there is a definite group of people who apply. Additionally, this section could draw in more members from the aquarium hobby to join arachnoboards and grow our community.

You may be wondering, "Why make a separate section? Don't we already have the insects, other inverts & arthropods section?" This is true, but aquatic inverts are so vastly different in terms of care from all other inverts in the section. They need filters, water parameters, and are a new frontier for invert keeping. A request for pH levels help in the insect & etc section might get buried by posts about isopods, roaches, and mantises and ultimately go unanswered. It's time to give a growing part of the community a dedicated space to call their own.

If you're interested or want to show your support, here is the place to do it! Until it is created, you can also use this thread to talk about and share info on aquatic inverts :)
Perfect idea so these threads don’t get buried under insects etc . It seems a lot of people keep crabs and shrimps etc , I only keep tarantulas/roaches .

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I fully suppprt this as you all know I am a passionate crabman 🦀 OR you may say it am passionate about having crabs:troll:

I would be happy to help set it up and get care threads or infor in general going to use as stickies. (@Arachnopets @MrDeranged if it’s decided to go this route (edit))

i was just enjoying one of my crabs as I opened this! I think a seperated section would be very useful indeed! 4DD18289-9558-447B-A193-219C7A78C584.jpeg

Last edited:

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
While they aren’t an area of interest atm for me, I wouldn’t mind as I just like learning about new stuff lol. Plus the adhd and Asperger’s in me will probably hyper fixate on them at some point anyways lol.
Perfect idea so these threads don’t get buried under insects etc . It seems a lot of people keep crabs and shrimps etc , I only keep tarantulas/roaches .
Ironically I'm just getting into it. I was checking the forum for info, and I discovered a major issue (in my opinion), which is why I want to help by creating this section!

I fully suppprt this as you all know I am a passionate crabman 🦀 OR you may say it am passionate about having crabs:troll:

I would be happy to help set it up and get care threads or infor in general going to use as stickies. (@Arachnopets @MrDeranged if it’s decided to go this route (edit))

i was just enjoying one of my crabs as I opened this! I think a seperated section would be very useful indeed! View attachment 471956
Beautiful crab! You popped up in quite a few threads about them so I figured you might be interested :) The more help, the better!

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
Marine inverts are also very cool! I know a couple of reef forums have dedicated sections on things like mantis shrimp so I'm not sure how relevant they will be here.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Marine inverts are also very cool! I know a couple of reef forums have dedicated sections on things like mantis shrimp so I'm not sure how relevant they will be here.
Yeah I’m surprised roaches don’t have there own section the insects area isa. Ghost town often can’t get advice . This is the only invert forum i use since rob c one went down many years ago.