apparently they groom

wrenhxven

Arachnopeon
hey I posted a few days back worried my avic avic was stressed. still not sure tbh building new enclosure tomorrow.

but she (presumed) is grooming today and boy did that startle me! she was gnawing on her backmost leg and I !!!! it scared me but now I guess she's grooming

so I've had rats before and grooming is something they do a lot, but overdo when stressed out. I didn't know t's groomed until now. does it mean anything about her state of mind? like I figured "okay she's grooming she must be feelin chill" but then a cricket walked past her that I thought she ate yesterday so like is she stressed?

Attachments

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Tarantulas don’t have a mind. It’s just being a T. They do all sorts of goofy stuff and can assume some very weird positions.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Probably got into bath salts and is now eat itself.

But being serious, it’s hard to say if it’s stressed. They groom and it’s normal. If your husbandry and setup is correct, I’d argue it’s not stressed and doing normal T things

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Grooming is normal.

Tarantulas react to adverse stimuli by curling their legs up over their bodies as if they are trying to hide under them. (Among other abnormal behavior like an avic on the ground a T. albo climbing the lid.) That’s the most common.

jcmbibb311

Arachnopeon
The grooming wouldn’t have anything to do with being stressed or not, just normal tarantula things. She likely isn’t stressed, just not hungry. However, seeing your enclosure is the best way to know if she really is stressed or not.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
does it mean anything about her state of mind?
They don't have a mind that could be in any state. It's normal. There's lots of info on this forum, I would definitely read more on Avics while you are here, it could save your cherished pet's life some day. It's life is defined by the amount of time you put into research.