Aphonopelma sp. ????

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hahaha this remindsme of when i went to the aquarium of he americas in new orleans after the storm and i was greeting by their one T....

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/dstin/spiders/file.jpg

the common name was correct, it just seems like the zoos or museums say to themselves "we are in the states and this spider is in the states..only aphonopelma spieces are in the states, thus this spider must be an aphonopelma spieces...so odd i can't find it's specific name?"

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/browseimages.php?c=21&userid=
you might find it's relatives there...

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IF that IS an Aphonopelma at all, this pic has been subjected to some major Photoshop blue filter, and would otherwise be a mature male of any of several species. In many mature males of this genus in the US, they turn black with a reddish abdomen. I've seen photos of mature male A. chalcodes that looked a lot like this, with the exception that they were not blue with an orange abdomen! Given that even the colors of the leaves and substrate under the spider look "off", I'd say that the pic has had some major manipulation, which makes it impossible to nail down any species. It's like someone tried to turn something else into a GBB, thought it doesn't really look right for one of those, either.

pitbulllady

Greyhalo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Though I will admit that I've only been in the hobby for only a few months now, I am pretty sure that it isn't an aphonopelma at all. I've been using photoshop for years and I'm going to school for multimedia so I know it isnt a photoshop job. It looks to be a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens aka Green Bottle Blue, that's what I'd put my money on. I think thats what By-Tor was saying it was as well since the second link he provided is the Chromatopelma genus gallery.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
....Given that even the colors of the leaves and substrate under the spider look "off", I'd say that the pic has had some major manipulation, which makes it impossible to nail down any species....
The only thing that looks "off" is maybe the white balance on the camera. People think digital cameras do all the work for them so they don't bother to learn the settings. Digital photography and photoshop ruined photography. Everyone thinks any picture posted online has been PSed. Simplest explanation is generally the best. In this case: bad photographer, not PS. And, really, what makes a species ID impossible is not the quality of the picture but the inability to see any key features.

It *looks* like it could be a mature male Aphonopelma sp. I saw one a couple years ago...IIRC it was A. behlei...that was extremely similar in coloration (then again, color really doesn't mean anything). But my point is, not every Aphonopelma sp. is just another brown spider. Some of them, at least some I've seen, are really pretty.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can we all stop saying its a photoshopped aphono and just say its mislabelled male Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have seen very freshly molted MM Aphonopelmas that look blue/green when the light hits them. Especially when I dont feel like manually setting my digicam, as David said, and just use the auto features.

There is no way to identify what species of Aphonopelma it is (or if it is an Aphonopelma) without close examination of the pedipalp bults among other features.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These look so much like CC (to me at least) Is it just the males that have this colouration? aif so what colour are the females?

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I still can't tell the difference lol, I'll just take your word for it :p

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow...ignorance is bliss, eh?

Guess that color pattern works for more than one of these guys...

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IF that IS an Aphonopelma at all, this pic has been subjected to some major Photoshop blue filter, and would otherwise be a mature male of any of several species. In many mature males of this genus in the US, they turn black with a reddish abdomen. I've seen photos of mature male A. chalcodes that looked a lot like this, with the exception that they were not blue with an orange abdomen! Given that even the colors of the leaves and substrate under the spider look "off", I'd say that the pic has had some major manipulation, which makes it impossible to nail down any species. It's like someone tried to turn something else into a GBB, thought it doesn't really look right for one of those, either.

pitbulllady
I'm going to agree with you. The rock near the bottom middle is blue as well. Why? All the rocks in the picture seem to be of similar composition. But that one is blue...

The only thing that looks "off" is maybe the white balance on the camera. People think digital cameras do all the work for them so they don't bother to learn the settings. Digital photography and photoshop ruined photography. Everyone thinks any picture posted online has been PSed. Simplest explanation is generally the best. In this case: bad photographer, not PS. And, really, what makes a species ID impossible is not the quality of the picture but the inability to see any key features.

It *looks* like it could be a mature male Aphonopelma sp. I saw one a couple years ago...IIRC it was A. behlei...that was extremely similar in coloration (then again, color really doesn't mean anything). But my point is, not every Aphonopelma sp. is just another brown spider. Some of them, at least some I've seen, are really pretty.
Indeed digital cameras are taken for granted. However, a lot of people couldn't use the old skool stuff anyways. So what difference doe sit make, now you can simply delete the sucky pictures cause you get a preview on LCD.

---

Here is what 5 minutes in Paintshop Pro did.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/dukegarda/Tarantula02.jpg

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A. mooreae really do look like that... and they have been found in the U.S.

Eric

Greyhalo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats pretty crazy, you learn something new every day. Atleast I was half right lol.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This one foto is claim to be a photo of the WC Aphonopema mooreae described by Andrew Smith in 1995.
And if You look into the original place from which the picture was taken You will find the following annotation:
"Copyright by R. L. Bellsey. Photo taken from near the type locality on Mesa del Campanero, Sonora, Mexico."
But 've never heard of any foundings in US.

Eric, can You contact me privately with some info?