Aphonopelma sp.

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just wanted to share a few pics of a cool Aphonopelma sp. I am currently working with. We are getting closer to the proper ID, and hopefully after a couple more molts off of some females we will know for sure! Expect offspring later this year!

Adult male

Adult Female

Sub Adult Female

Immature Female

The color change is quite drastic and thus it is quite ineteresting to see what pops up after each molt.
Thanks
Justyn

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am also working with a pair of those.
They are Aphonopelma sp..Carlsbad green.
They'er from Carlsbad New Mexico.
The males are very striking.
good luck
Bryan

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bryan,

I was thinking they looked familiar, but I don't know my Aphonopelma's well enough to give an opinion on the matter. Have you had a chance to hook them up yet?

Botar

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nope, I am sad to report they are nothing near any of the species out of New Mexico. Now you see why I don't trust the majority of the trade’s opinion in regards to what species is what within the hobby. =D A classic example is Aphonopelma moderatum, I see at least three different species being sold as these guys, possibly why not many people are having luck at successfully breeding them within captivity. So far in regards to looking at spermathecae, hairs, range, and size this spider looks to be a spiders endemic to Texas that was not seen since its discovery in 1940. Then again it might just be an aberrant of a more common species. Dave Moellendorf of Austin Arachnological Services is being kind enough to be working with me on the correct ID of this species, and if anyone knows Dave, they know he knows his Aphonopelmas and Bracypelmas as well!
Thanks
Justyn

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
Bryan,

I was thinking they looked familiar, but I don't know my Aphonopelma's well enough to give an opinion on the matter. Have you had a chance to hook them up yet?

Botar

Botar,
I have put them together,but they just sit there and look at each other.no drumming, no nothing.
I'll keep trying.

Intence herps,
Let me know if you get an i.d on them.
and if you get a good eggsack.
I would be interested in buying some slings
thanks
Bryan

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I should get a positive ID within the next coming weeks as additional females molt and a couple more wild speciemens are collected. I am also working with another species believed to be Aphonopelma waconum, and hopefully I should get a positive ID on them as well. Both species are found within the same habitat (sometimes within feet from each other) but look surprisingly different in regards to the coloration of juv., adult males, and adult females. I'll keep everyone updated and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on a good egg sac!
Thanks
Justyn

KelliH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Justyn-

Those are some beautiful Aphonopelma sp.! The mature males are awesome looking. You can add my name to your list if you get slings.

The female Aphonopelma sp. possible waconum is doing great, I'll send you a molt as soon as she does.

Here she is:

Justyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great! We have a mature male for her once we are done with him and she molts out. I'll post of the male "waconum" soon. Also, once we get Aphonopelma positively ID'ed maybe we can slide an adult female your way! By the way, the A. avics are doing great! And the A. metallica female I have is making an egg sack as I type.
Thanks
Justyn