Aphonopelma seemani

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
This is "Fluffy." Not a great pic of her, which is why I've never posted it before.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does anybody have a picture of a male that is fully mature with palpal bulbs and tibial hooks in view?

PDX_Tarantulas

Arachnopeon
Here's mine: http://spiders.cdbpdx.com/NEWBIE/

Got mine at a pet store for free. The folks there thought that since it had this big bald spot on it's abdomen and was missing a leg that it was defective, so they just gave it to me. That was June 10, 2007. It molted on July 5, 2007 (3 days ago) and the new leg came back and it went from a dirty brown-tan to black. Cool!

Right now, it is about 4 1/2" long.

Fairly sedentary and doesn't seem to mind being handled but every once in a while, it will rear back in a fearsome display, then stay that way for 15 minutes or so, then just walk to it's web bed and sit there. It still hasn't eaten anything, though there are always a couple fat juicy crickets running around the enclosure. It does go to the water 'dish' and drink occasionally.

I update the web site above whenever the mood strikes me or something significant happens.

CDB

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got a 2" rescue from a chain petstore which ran me $13.00. The three pet shop kids refused to put it in a box for me so I had to do it myself, while the kids looked on in disbelief and fearful stares (I should have started screaming to see their reactions:cool: ).

I got him in real good condition, is a great eater, a lil skittish, but will let you handle him with patience. He's got the coolest orange spinneretts and is always out and about, like most T's usually more active after the sun goes down.

Couldn't ask for a better $13.00 T.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Does anybody have a picture of a male that is fully mature with palpal bulbs and tibial hooks in view?
I had one but It was so defensive, there was no way for me to get a good pic. Besides, at that time, I did not have a good camera to take it with. How ever, I now have two sub adults and one sling and I can handle all three of them without issues. I think the reason they are not discussed much is because the most common and readily availible is the G. rosea so obviously that one will get a lot of attention. After the rosie, the need for info jumps to the ones that aren't as readily availible in the nation wide pet stores. My personal observations say the A. seemannii is the second most common T availible for sale in pet stores. My point is that there is not a huge need to discuss the Second most common T since the rose covers all the basics for the starter and after that the need jumps to a whole new level. I just seems to be a very popular but ingnored and very under rated T.

My avitar is a Mature Male seemannii but it does not show any details that you are wanting. Sorry

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My first T was an A. seemani. Bought it and about 1 month later found this web site and discovered it was a male because of the tibial hooks. Watched him make a sperm web and charge his bulbs. It was pretty cool. He was pretty skittish, but never flicked hairs at me. He was prone to make sudden bursts across his enclosure that would give me a heart attack. Sent him off to breed and he was eaten!:(

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A little over a year ago I got my first A. seemani. I was in a Petco, standing near the door, trying to figure out where everything was. Suddenly a man ran in the door with a wrinkled, crumpled paper bag in his hand. He screamed at me "I can't have that THING in my house!!!!!!", shoved the bag at me, and ran out.
I opened the bag and looked inside, there was a very bad looking T inside. I found some employees, and they gave me a deli cup to put the poor thing in. I brought it home and gave it a good look, it had the smallest, most shriveled abdomen I have ever seen. I put "him" in a KK, and fed him, he scarfed down 4 crickets and then spend almost two hours face down in the water dish. "He" measured about 4 inches.
Well now she is fine, we fed her up and she moulted, and is a female. She now has a fat little butt, and a fixation on her water dish.
I just recently got 6 more A. seemani slings. I think you could say I think seemanis are great, I should with 7.

adonis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Aphonopelma seemanni

I just got mine as a juvi 2 weeks ago, thanks to Tarantulas Canada at the Ontario reptile expo.

She has dug several burrows, but finally decided on a keeper yesterday. She has been webbing the floor and, the opening to her burrow since then.

Thinking she may molt soon; some balding on her abdomen.

I couldn't be happier with this T. Amazing colours, a burrower (I have a p.murinus but she never sug burrows), and gentle.

Not very skittish at all. And hasn't shows any signs of aggression.

I want to get a couple more A.semmanni as they are incredible show spiders.

If your new to the hobby, this makes a great first spider. Much more interesting than the G.rosea from my experience.

And did I mention she is a ruthless killer. And very clean with body disposal and personal grooming after a meal.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
thanks, she looked pretty bad when i got her lol brown dull bald lol she kicks hair pretty good tho and not long after her molt had a bald butt lol i expect a molt again soon tho. I am hoping she molts soon and the male molts out mature soon and ill breed them. or sell them as a pair lol

Squeaksville

Arachnopeon
Getting mine Tuesday 7-10-07

I'll be getting my A. seemani Tuesday it's the blue morph kind. I'm so excited since I'm getting it from Tarantula INC. that I found here on the boards. He has a bunch of them! :D