Aphonopelma seemani

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I never hear or read about people saying that much about these spiders. I personally think that they are some of the most beautiful spiders that are in the pet trade. I think people should enjoy this spider more than they do.

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
apperication

you can count me as an appreciator ... I will post a pic of mine later ... I love her even though shes a mean ole bitch. Which I guess is rather atypical for the species... go figure I get the mean one hehe

looseyfur
;P

happymeal

Arachnopeon
I second that motion!

Mine is mean as hell! But a real good, if not my best display T
2nd fav to the G.Rosea, this is another overlooked T IMO

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I have to admit, that I really havent had an appreciation of these spiders. I think this is partially due to the fact that they are pet shop spiders. And every time I have seen them in a pet shop, they are still young and in the wrong conditions. They just always looked shabby to me.

But lately, as my interest in tarantulas has been increasing tremendously, so has my respect for A. seemani. I have been seeing some really good pictures of them as full grown adults. They have an excellent body structure. And when freshly molted, they are quite striking.

I keep a list of Tarantulas that I eventually want to get. And to keep it from getting too overwhelming, I try not to have too many species on it that are similar to other ts on the list.

Well, I recently put Ephebopus murinus on that list. And I think that A. seemani looks too much like it. Although some pictures of E. murinus, make it look like is is a cross between an A. seemani and a Haplaploma sp.

I don't know. The Costa Rican form of A. seemani is rather striking. I might have to switch it with the E. murinus.

Hmmm....

Big Dragonfly

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I recently got an A.seemani, a 4 inch female. The cricket needs to come up to her and bite her in the ass before she will eat, but she has yet to turn down a cricket. Looks more like an old world baboon spider in my opinion, which i think is awesome. She is extremly fast and quite skittish, but i doubt she would ever try and bite. She has started to web a little and im hoping for her to burrow. Great Species.

Mark

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
I havent got one myself, but it was my dads favourate spider when he kept them.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine is also super mean which I like in a spider. Her markings are so contrasted that she is absolutely beautiful. Bright whie lines with dark black everything else. She is 5 inches and she is probably the best disply spider i have because she is way prettier than an L parahybana.

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine dug a hole and buried herself for a month. She molted down in her burrow. I almost forgot what she looked like. I dug her up and found the most beautiful T. I feed her dead crix. She is one of my favorites.

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, I agree. I think my Chelsea is one of the prettiest spiders we have. She molted out a beautiful blue. And she has an attitude. She doesn't like to be messed with. And she is a great display spider. She is at the top of my list. Pam

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i love my A. seemanni. ive handled her a couple times, been haired by her a couple times, and stared in awe of her beauty many times. my gf bridgets avatar is a pic of mine. heres the pic.

Attachments

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
My A. seemani (Zippy) is wonderful. I got her, feeling pitty, seeing her in a poorly maintained petshop. She was only $20, so I felt the rescue was in order.

When I first got her, she was VERY skittish. In the time I've had her, she's become handlable, and never kicked hairs at me.

Zippy has certainly worked her way into my heart :)

-Bryan

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I agree: these are beautiful spiders and very under-rated in the hobby.

Joy

motorteipidpa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
like the rose hairs,eventually these guys will be harvested so much they will be no longer available to collect.any one breeding these?i hardly ever read aboout people breeding this species,and there so common im sure theres lots of adult males and females to go around.
Tom

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
hrm

not to speak on Jacens behalf but... I think he mentioned he was intrested and or breeding them... My female is so old her eggsack would have dust in it hehehe.

if he is breeding them good luck to him

loos:D

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a pair right now actually... just waiting for the male to mature.

This is a species I havent tried to handle yet... but I am sure I could. My female is pretty easy going. She is the only T that I hand feed!

I hold a pinky out in front of her and she gently scoops it up from my fingers with her fangs. Not a stunt I would recommend anyone else try though lol

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I love mine too.:) A very beautiful tarantula, though slightly nervous.