Aphonopelma eutylenum

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I finally caught some locals!!!! Here they are:

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Neat bugs! ? for ya though - is it safe to keep both of them on your hand at the same time? What happens if they bump into eachother - could it be a spiderfight?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
They actually did crawl over each other several times, but basically ignored each other. I kept at the ready though, just in case. They're SUPER DOCILE, and great pet spiders... I'm hoping to get a breeding pair and get some out there in the hobby. They look just like milk chocolate colored velvet! That's why one is named "Hershey!" Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
It's nice to see what my little one will look like someday in the distant future. It's another slow growing Aphonopelma... but I'll get to spend lots of time with it. Very nice looking Ts

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Mendi... where dDi you get yours? Do you see them for sale often? (I want more, and More, and MORE!!!!):D

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MizM,
They are gorgeous, remember not to over collect them now that you know were to get them. Also are you sure they are A eutylenum? If so that’s very awesome. One more thing, I’m betting the big one is a female, and the little one is a male. Notice how the big ones abdomen is small? Well this means she molted recently giving her enough time to get fat for this years breeding season. However the male does not molt in the spring like the females, they retain all there energy for there ultimate molt in the fall. I see the same things with the tarantulas from down here.

Sincerely,

Brandon

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Yes, I have contacted Tom Prentice at University of California Riverside and he has confirmed their species. The Aphonopelma eutylenum breeds in the fall and the Aphonopelma steindachneri breeds in the summer. Breeding season starts late in the summer and continues until early fall, I'm going to try to get a male and female.

Of course I wouldn't over harvest, they are getting enough trouble from the human race, ESPECIALLY in California! I actually saw a kangaroo rat on our outing, that is a protected species here and not seen often. We have built up it's habitat and now there are so few of them left!

Anyway, my hope is to breed MINE and get them out in the pet trade. I don't think I could sell a wild caught unless they were as prolific as the darm centipedes we have!!!

Here's a newspaper story about our little local guys...

http://www.inthenews.ucr.edu/2002/20021003tarantula.htm

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
2 species in cali alone, hardly! I think the news has got it wronge there are 10 alone that I could pull up. Non the less congrats on your spiders. At least this paper did give mostly correct information

Sincerely,

Brandon

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
That was just a piece on the species in a local city. They don't get the BIG picture. Plus, I work for the 3rd largest newspaper in California and trust me... they are NEVER accurate... NEVER!!

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MizM,
Thanks for being so honest lol ;) BTW, check your PM

Sincerely,

Brandon

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Hey, I don't write the stories... I just design the advertising!!!

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Terri, do those by chance molt out black with red abdominal setae and a creamy blackish beige carapace?

Jon

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Haven't had one molt yet... although one's butt is getting bald. They are still a little mysterious to me, which makes them all the more fun!!

No, as far as I know, we have no B. smithi in California, and although I'm only an hour from Mexico, they are protected and cannot be imported.

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No brachypelmas live in the US of A the brachypelma that travles farthest north in mexico is B emilia, and it still is around 100 miles away from the border.

Sincerely,

Brandon