Aphonopelma chalcodes substrate

najig21

Arachnopeon
I have tried every possible substrate I can, from vermiculite to sand to soil, and so on and so forth, but she still just sits on top of her rock cave all day long, and rarely moves from there. Is this a problem with the substrate? Can anyone tell me anything? Thanks.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
How much time have you given her with each substrate? Were the substrate's moist when you put them in? If not given enough time to acclimate, or if a substrate is too moist, A. chalcodes which is a dryland species, may not give it the time of day.

Scott

najig21

Arachnopeon
I usually leave the substrate in for a couple of months. But the new substrate is a little too moist. (It's peat and potting soil) Thanks. I'll give it a drier soil. Also, how moist should B. smithi substrate be?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I keep my smithi's bone dry with a water dish. Been working fine for years...

Scott

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is my A. chalacodes substrate. 100% peet moss. She has webbed the whole thing. Wall to wall carpet..

Ernie

Attachments

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Beautiful spiders MR.T!, I have used potting soil and peat 50/50 for my Aphon. species and they all burrow in it succesfully. I usually make a starter shelter for them first though; usually out of florists foam or a cut up plastic t.v. dinner tray. This gives them a foundation or starting point. All the species generally build the tunnels where you can see them at all times. It's very interesting; I will post a thread about how I construct these setups later.:)

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mr T,
Here is a pic of My A schmidti, we should compare. Email me as to the local you caught yours and ill do visversa, Versicolorking@aol.com

Pic is pre ultimate molt male

Sincerely,

Brandon

Attachments

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And here is one of a female A schmidti, i have a mature male pic but i think ill hold off

Sincerely,

Brandon

Attachments