Aphonopelma chalcodes or aphonopelma hentzi

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am going to get one of these soon and I don't really know which one. I am looking at factors like life span, and docalness, a little defensive is no big deal and wouldn't decided which spider to buy. So what are your personal preferences?

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a A.hentzi that's really docile, yet have read that some A.hentzi can be skittish and slightly aggressive/defensive.

I keep her the same as you would a G.rosea, only thing is Aphonopelma species take forever and 66 weeks to grow... {D So if you get a small sling (1/4" or so) prepare for a long, long, long time before they even begin looking like tarantulas lol.

As for A.chalcodes, have not had the pleasure of owning one as of yet, and by searching it seems they are slightly more aggressive than the hentzi, but is dependant on the individual specimen.

Both species, the female lives for 20+ years.

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
My A.chalcodes is completely docile my girlfriend is terrified of T's but was comfortable enough to hold my female after seeing me work with her. Either will have a really long life span if female. Keep mine in a container from the containerstore on dry coco fiber and a water dish. Mine never refuses a meal and has only kicked hair once and zero threat poses.