Aphonopelma anax and hentzi question

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've heard mixed reviews on these spiders, some people I've talked to say they can be bitey, don't think of handling them, while others say they're as docile as a G. rosea. My question to people who own these spiders, do they make for good hand pets, or are they more of a "look, don't touch" kind of T?

hcsk8ter

Arachnopeon
I have a 3" hentzi and handle it daily. No problems. Only speaking for myself though. She's a bit jumpy but hasn't thrown me a display posture yet.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I personally believe every Aphonopelma spp. is jumpy or skittish yet handleable. Very few defensive species in this Genus, unless its the individual spider.

tacoma0680

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It all depends on how you are holding them i know people who handle usambraras and have no problem if you want a good one to handle get a B.smithi or an avic avic or versi

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have 3 A. hentzi and an A. anax and I'd have to say they both like to stick their butts up in the air as a warning but I have no problem handling any of them. 2 of my hentzi are subadult and I have one mature female. The subadults are more skittish than the adult. The anax sling act just like the subadult hentzi.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A hentzi has probably the sweetest disposition of any tarantula I know of.

SamtheMan

Arachnopeon
Just as a counterpoint. I have an A. anax female who is extremely defensive. She rears almost everytime I have to do something in her cage. She's in a five gallon so I'm not too worried about her actually biting me, but she would if she could.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a juvie anax and a juvie hentzi. They are both a little skittish, but not at all defensive, and the anax calms down more and more with each moult.

Urbanspider

Arachnopeon
A.Hintzi

I have two subadult female Hintzis and they are wonderful spiders. I have used them both for school presentations and they always behave. I also have what appears to be a subadult male Hintzi (possible some other Aphonopelma species) that acts like my H. Lividum. Just TRY and take his water dish... It really just seems to depend on the individual; though Aphonopelmas, in general, seem to be more tractable than most other tarantulas.

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My 3 in. A. Hentzi is extremely docile. Never had a problem handling her.

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My female anax is a sweety! She is the only one I handle. She did strike at me once though, but did not use her fangs, just gave a tap with her front legs. Hasn't stopped me from reaching in to hold her though!

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll have to get either one or both of these spiders very soon.

She did strike at me once though, but did not use her fangs, just gave a tap with her front legs
My rose hair did that to me last week. I bumped the desk she was on while moving an armchair and that spilled the water in her dish, when i was grabbing the dish to refill it she was probably spooked from the bump, so she moved like she was going to bite me, but she just "punched" me with her front legs and then walked in the opposite direction. T's do the darndest things.