Aphnopelma coloration after Molt

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Recently my AF A.chalchodes molted out from her usual colors to black with red hairs on the abdomen, besides her color change there is nothing wrong with her and she is back to eating normally. But this thread is about the science of it if anyone know whats causes this phenomenon or if anyone here has experienced this if so please share your story.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Just cause I'm curious, could you post before and after pictures? I don't have anything helpful to add to the discussion as I've never had the experience but I'm likely to learn something new from it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Recently my AF A.chalchodes molted out from her usual colors to black with red hairs on the abdomen, besides her color change there is nothing wrong with her and she is back to eating normally. But this thread is about the science of it if anyone know whats causes this phenomenon or if anyone here has experienced this if so please share your story.
They are known to change color.. maybe @AphonopelmaTX knows as the color change info I wrote is via Apho.

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
I Know that they are known to have color changes but I was interested in what causes its the science behind it. But thanks for the suggestion

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you happen to have a picture of her before she molted?
First time I have seen that.
I'd say it looks more like Aphonopelma anax, but if she possessed the normal chalcodes coloration before this molt, it can't be.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Considering the few tarantulas in different lacalities now listed as chalcodes. I've never seen a chalcodes that looks like yours. Maybe a different species all together. A better photo would help clarify ID of what you have since it seems to be in question on this thread.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I picked up a Chalcodes and enclosure from someone a while back. I was rehousing it into a nice clean enclosure and when i lifted the hide there was a very dark brown exuviae under it.

I believe the Aphonopelma chalcodes can have a change in colour after a molt, and go on to molt again to have the original coloration.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe a species was sold to you with the wrong description. Your tarantula on all four legs from what I can see on your image is all one color and the carapace is a bit dark as well compare to a chalcodes from Arizona. Regardless of what species it is it's still a good looking tarantula.

When this photo was taken of my chalcodes from Arizona she was freshly molted. I've always seen freshly molted chalcodes with this appearance.

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Sadly the molt picture is the only one I have thats good of her before the molt. an in response to Exo I'm pretty sure she is a chalchodes I purchased her from Ken the bug guy a few years back as a 4 inch female.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Sadly the molt picture is the only one I have thats good of her before the molt. an in response to Exo I'm pretty sure she is a chalchodes I purchased her from Ken the bug guy a few years back as a 4 inch female.
It happens!

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
It happens!
Totally agree well ken is a great seller with how many slight variations there are in the Aphonopelma genus you can't really dog the guys for making a slight mistake. For now though I'll keep her label as A.chalchodes.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No disrespect to Ken but ID mistakes can happen as I have ordered from Ken and had a couple of species that were not what they were sold as.

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Ya as I stated with a operation as large as his mistakes are bound to happen, doesn't mean that its ok but stuff happens

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Totally agree well ken is a great seller with how many slight variations there are in the Aphonopelma genus you can't really dog the guys for making a slight mistake. For now though I'll keep her label as A.chalchodes.
Keeping her labeled as chalcodes is fine but I would still pursue of getting a positive ID. But if you feel that you don't need to go any further than just leave it as is.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ya as I stated with a operation as large as his mistakes are bound to happen, doesn't mean that its ok but stuff happens
Get a really nice clean photo of her when you are able and contact Brent Hendrixson. Email him the photo and ask him what his thoughts are. He will respond back to you.