Anyone with experience keeping Horned Lizards?

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just wondering if they will be able to live on a diet of just crickets and other bugs if ants are not available. And if anyone has kept them or keeping them post your personal experience/opinion about these unique lizards.

I have always wanted one and might get one if they're not too hard to keep.

rollinkansas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From what ive been told by people who tried to keep them, they are very difficult, They must be fed ants, and eat so many a day it would be hard to keep up. They have strict care requirements, and stress very easily. They are one of the few reptiles that should stay in the wild and not in a container.

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I kept one once, They can only eat Harvester Ants, and it won't last long.. They are better left in the wild.. Good Luck

tkn0spdr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I kept a small colony of them a long time ago. They did quite well and bred like rabbits.

It helps that I lived in FL at the time and had only to take them outside and put them down near an ant pile for them to get their fill.

The neighbors loved me. :D

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just wondering if they will be able to live on a diet of just crickets and other bugs if ants are not available. And if anyone has kept them or keeping them post your personal experience/opinion about these unique lizards.

I have always wanted one and might get one if they're not too hard to keep.
harverster ants must be thier primary diet. thats why they are not around here anymore the harverster ants have all but disappeared from here . They will eat other tings too but they must have large quanities of harverster ants. We cant keep them here ( very few exceptions) because they are protected. We arent even allowed to buy them where they are legal to sell and bring them home...

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for all the responses, guess I'll have to pass up on them.